Sign in to follow this  
cymru-corrado

Cams

What would think if you were offered this????.......

........This is a modified exhaust cam taken from a VW 16v KR cylinder head, i bought it to fit to my mk2 Golf 16v but no longer need it as i have a set of Kent Cams instead.

This exhaust cam has been modified so it can be used as an inlet cam on either the 1.8l (KR) or 2l (9A) cylinder heads. The standard 2l inlet cam gives 8.9mm lift, the KR cam 9.6mm lift, but the exhaust cam gives 10.2mm lift!!

I am informed this mod works better on the 1.8 (KR) but then I see no reason why it wouldn't work well on the 2l also, that said I am selling a straight KR inlet cam for those 2l 9A owners who want a simple bhp boost!

Basically the exhaust cam has been cut down beyond the last lobe, and the timing mark re-cut. There are guys who remove the cam sprocket, recut the woodruff key groove and then re-press the cam sprocket back onto the cam so the timing marks are the same. However I have done it without this and was surprised at the 10 - 15bhp difference it makes, and confirm it works very well on it's own!!

To help those non mechy types I also have access to a 'how to' guide which can be posted/ emailed that was produced by forums who developed this mod.

The cam is in good nick, with no chips, marks, scratches or other deformities to the lobes. Notwithstanding this, no warranty or guarantee is implied nor given.

:?: :?:

I can imagine that you won't get hardly any low down torque with that fitted. If you have a kr engine you are best of sticking with your original cams unless it is heavily modified.

I can imagine that you won't get hardly any low down torque with that fitted. If you have a kr engine you are best of sticking with your original cams unless it is heavily modified.

Not true I am afraid. I had one of these cams in my 1800 16V a few years ago. The additional go is quite noticeable.

I found that planting your foot at 70 in 5th actuallly did something, where without the modified cam a change into 4th would be needed to get the same result.

On a 2 litre the effect would be the same. There was no loss of power below 4000revs like you would get with traditional 'lumpy' cams.

GAvin

does that mean i buy?

its not going to cost me much either. not sure on what engine code i got though. car is a 1.8 16v.

where do i find the code is it on the sticker with paint code or sticker with chassis number?

It'll be on the boot sticker, easier to see than the engine itself.

Under £50 is cheap. I paid that just for the chainwheel from Stealth, having bought a secondhand cam as well.

Gavin

i've just done this mod a couple of weeks back and you do notice the power difference (mine is a 1.8 kr) before the car shot through the lower revs with not much pull now the pull comes in from 2000 revs and the car doesn't need to be taken to the redline to get shifting. i did it as the text you posted states got the info from the guy who wrote that add, no need to remove the chainwheel aslong as you time it correctly when you drop it in, you can work out the new timing mark from the existing one.

buy it,thats wot i have.As long as it has a modified chainwheel on it which corrects the timing by 6degrees.Me and my mate started making these cams about 2 years ago,and ive sold quite a few so its proberly 1 of mine lol

I used to do the modded chainwhee;s for £35 but stealth charged £75.I think the cam your lookin at already has the modded chainwheel

I used to do the modded chainwhee;s for £35 but stealth charged £75.I think the cam your lookin at already has the modded chainwheel

bargain :thumb right: watch my car fall apart with it in next :lol:

I had 2 exhaust cams on my last but one 1.8 valver and with KStar KS3-01, WUR mod and 42mm inlet, it made 154bhp with 146lb/ft with standard exhaust and filter on 95 unleaded. The Vernier cam wheel I also had is what pushed the torque up to that figure. It totally transformed the car. I also had an 8V 5th in the box which extended the top end.

Mind you, the engine was a 40,000 miler from a K reg MK2, which helped also 8)