Sign in to follow this  
g60griff

knock sensor

pinking id imagine,or maybe it could work the other way too and be too sensitive? and cause the ignition timing to be retarded,meaning power loss?

id wait till someone who knows what theyre on about answers tbh :lol:

i think it would,unless it was the wiring that was the problem if it had a bad connection.

dont know if its that or not, went out in today and it was pulling like a train felt really quick no a problem with it at all. the only time it splutted a bit was when i dropped to second and went round a mini round about at some pace, it sort of held back a bit a 4000rpm then kicked in and pulled hard upto 5500. i drove pretty hard for about half an hour down some lanes then drove home. i went out in it about 3 hours after this and it was hesitant in all gears at 4000rpm really annoying because of how it run previously.

Remove the knock sensor from the engine block & re-torque it down. Can't remember the exact torque setting - something like 12Nm from memory.

If it's too tight, it'll be too sensitive - too slack, not sensitive enough.

Also check the wiring - often wears if it's been cabletied in place.

If you are getting pinking for a reason unconnected with ignition timing, such as incorrect plugs or carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, the knock sensor will detect this and try to compensate by winding back the timing and flattening the top end power, and you'll still have the pinking !!

I speak from the bitter experience of having the wrong plugs installed by a garage (which shall remain nameless) which was causing very bad pinking. I had both knock sensors replaced at great expense, to no avail. Once I had spotted the problem and rectified it, the engine was back on full, smooth power and without a trace of pinking. And fuel economy improved substantially.

The moral is; "check your plugs". Even if they are the correct specification, they may be defective.

Best wishes

RB

Don't remember the exact number of the wrong ones, but they were Bosch plugs for an ABF engine, not an ABV. Once I put in the correct NGK items, BKR5EKU, all was back to normal.

I got 6 of them from http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk, £23 incl. VAT and p+p, delivered 18hrs after ordering. That's a,..........er..........."plug".

Best wishes

RB

ABF, isn't that the 2.0 16V? In which case they'd be 3 prong Bosch plugs with heat range 6 (one colder than VR6). They're not a disaster area, in fact a lot of people use them in supercharged VR6 applications and they run fine, bearing in mind the engine is effectively a normal VR below 4000ish rpm.

Odd, but anyway, glad you got it sorted and eventually found the problem....at least you'll not need knock sensors for another 10 years now :-)