Sign in to follow this  
Jay_vr6

Installing new 4" speakers in dash but HELP!

It's always a good idea to check these things before going head first into buying stuff but wheres the fun in that.

I just got some nice sony 4" speakers and the adapters for the vw car to save cutting and splicing wires. I've taken the grill out and then the speaker, to be confronted with 2 sets of plugs ??? Now do I need to connect both sets to 1 plug or just use one of the sets ?

Anything else to be aware of ?

If you're refering to the cables running into the existing tweeters, one runs the tweeters, the other goes to the door speakers. Thats all i know as ive yet to fit new speakers and cables.

Yep, the Corrado speakers are 2 ways, tweeter in the dash, mid in the door. The circuit is red/brown from heady unit to tweeter (IIRC), which then splits off to brown/blue to the door speaker. If you use the 4" and the door speaker together, you'll present the head unit with a 2 ohm load and it will overheat and cut out.

A 4" speaker will be of no use sound wise, get some proper components in.

Not what you want to hear, but if you want decent sound quality and a 4ohm load, a 4" 2 way and a 5" door speaker is not the way to go. Disconnect the door speaker if you want to run the 4s, but you'll have no bass what so ever I'm afraid.