Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Is it legal to mix directional and non-directional tyres?

I have a fifth full size standard speedline that I want to use as a kind of full size spare to allow me time to order a new tyre of my choice, should I need to, rather than struggle by with the space-saver or be forced to take whatever is available at the time.

I have Toyo Proxes T1-S all round, which I am very happy with, however they are directional, and Murphy's law states that if I put a directional on the 5th wheel, then it will be the 'wrong' side that I get a flat on and I don't want to run directional tyres backwards.

So, is it legal to have a directional and a non-directional on the same 'axle'?

I'm thinking of just getting a cheap non-directional for this purpose as I won't be running it long term.

prob not illegal but might get you into to trouble in the wet etc...

i`d stick a good non directional and still take it easy, it`ll prob last the life of the car assuming you only get the odd flat and buy a new tyre for the punctured rim

ben

I'm sure it's not advisable but, AFAIK, the law will only dictate that you don't mix radial and cross-plys.

Think about it: is your space saver directional?

yup, as Musicman, says, the law only says that you can't mix radial and Cross plys on the same axle... you can have a pair of crossply tyres on the front and radials on the rear, but not across the car...

Directional and non-directional don't really matter if it's a spare... as long as they're all radial and the same size... 8)

I wouldn worry too much.

Aslong as you know to drive steady if you do have to put it on the wrong side, and get it sort it soon after youve put it on

Mr.Ots, The problem is when you have one facing the right way & one facing the wrong way on the same axle. I have tried this (by accident) for a couple of weeks & the results weren't good. Grip in corners was all over the place.

FYI - I was also using Eagle F1 (GSD3's).

The problem becomes worse when different manufacturers tyres are used on the same axle. The casings are made slightly differently between manufacturers & have different handling charachteristics.

Stevemac Yeah I can imagine it's not a good idea to run just one tyre in the opposite direction, but it is interesting to see how little the lap times increased running all four tyres the wrong way. I would have thought the car would have been all over the place.

Track days may be OK and fine, but I do wonder what an insurance company would do in fatal accident when the politz accident report shows tyre mixes and wrong direction fitting. The word "negligence" comes to mind. Any excuse to leave you the owner wide open.

I personally try to always run all four the same tread pattern and maker for balance. But if pushed due to lack of like replacements, then always keep axle ends the same as a pair. But I've had "funnies" when in this configuration that has left me over the years doubting at the extreme limits whether different front and back are all that safe.

RW1, you raise a very good point on the insurance aspect in the event of an accident. You can bet your life they would try and wriggle out of honouring a claim if you had a directional tyre running in the wrong direction.

four good quality like tyres are always the best option.

in the dry i wouldnt of thought it would make to much difference,but in the wet it would be a different story,directional tyres will expel water in a certain way