Sign in to follow this  
Dubbin 24/7

Need help with KR engine problems!!

Since last night during the drive home from a mates i noticed that the revs were pretty high, when i got back to my house i put in neutral and without me doing anything the revs where going consistantly up and down between 1 and half to 3 thousands rpm.

The raddo has been fine the last week or so, last weekend i had a new distributor fitted, the car still has original ht leads on it, i changed the spark plugs probably 6-7 months ago when i gave it a service!

Is there something i should be looking for which has gone........maybe ignition coil...? new ht leads.....? new isv.....? ( I cleaned the ISV about 3 weeks ago, seem to help very slightly with idling!)

Any input would be much appreciated as i need the car back on the road this weekend! (I am having to drive my mums 1.1 saxo this morning....ahhhhh need i say no more!!!!

If cleaning the ISV helped slightly, I'd give it another go, trouble is cleaning it may not necessarily sort it out if its faulty.

It does sound like the ISV to me.

OK thanks i will give that another go.....i read somewhere on the forum that some people leave the isv on whilst cleaing it, they leave the ignition on and then disconnect the electrical plug and then reconnect several times.....this is so it can clean any sh#t inside allowing the flap/opening bit to open/shut..! hope this makes sense....

Where is the be place to source a isv from then........gsf, euro carparts, vw dealer....?

Thanks for the help.......

Yep, I've had better results using this method.

Not sure who stocks them new, but definately try gsf and euro first or if you know anyone with the same engine which runs fine, put your isv on their car and see if the problem occurs on theirs.

Right then, ill give the isv another clean see if that helps...!

Just been looking for a new set of ht leads after i did a search on the forum regardiing this problem......Rang VW dealer near me up, the bloke said they dont sell them as a set they sell them seperately at £27.87 inc VAT, that works out over £110 for a set...! That dont sound right does it...??

Well I know they are expensive, but didn't expect quite that much.

Is it missfiring then? Mine is still on it's original VW HT leads, and they are fine. If the reving is the only problem I wouldn't replace them.

Right, yeah its just the reving which is causing the problem........I have just spoken to my mechanic whos going to come over this afternoon and have a look...! From the search on the forum i have asked him to have a look at the following, Thermatime switch, Cold start valve, ISV, injectors, fuel pump, ignition leads and ignition coil......hopefully will have a answer this afternoon!! Need car for weekend meant to be going down Southampton...ahhhh

Thanks for your help, will post result...........

check your idle switch on the throttle body... sounds to me like it's either broken or is disconnected... ;)

Is this the small screw type looking thing on the throttle body. Now mentioning this when my mechanic fitted the dizzy i asked him what that did....he explained and took it out and gave it a clean as it has black sh#t over it, after then putting it back in the black stuff was like a sealant/compound stuff which held it in securely......Where could i source a replacement one of these......??

Could you confirm twisitng it clockwise lowers the revs.....?

nope I'm on about a small switch which is on the throttle body which is pressed when on idle...

umm...not entirely sure what that is, will tell my mechanic to check is out thou...! Sorry not all that mechanicly minded....lol

Thanks for your input.....

small microswitch on the throttle body,you should hear it click if you pull the throttle cable slightly.

dosnt mean its working though,a quick test with a leccy meter will tell you if it is or not.

yup. On a KR it's done by the warm up regulator bolted onto the right side of the head (as you look at it from the front of the car) Big block with 2 pipes and a blue (IIRC) wiring connector on it