Sign in to follow this  
GinaG

how can you prove a storm is a storm

Hi, a drunk driver has crashed into my storm and wrote it off.

The insurance are saying so far they will only pay me out for a VR6 as the car isnt listed with the DVLA as a VR6 storm. I bought the car from Volkswagen in 1999 as a Storm and have the sign-over paperwork from them saying aI bought a VR6 storm.

Does anyone know how else i can prove it e.e Chassis number etc. . . :cry:

phone VAG's head office and give them the chassis number, they'll tell you if it's a genuine Storm or not once and for all... 8)

Sorry to hear about your loss though... hope you get it all sorted out with the minimum of hassle... 8)

The cars were never listed with the DVLA as Storms.. therefore using that getout clause they would never have to pay.

What colour was it by the way?

green! looks black sometimes but looks green sometimes too, has all the badges and spec.

I did buy it from Advent Volkswagen as a storm so fingers crossed, do you know anything about the chassis numbers though.

Also do you have a number for VAGs head office.

Try and retrieve the badges if you can from the scrapper - the last set that went up on eBay fetched over £250 - I kid you not.

bloody good point Jim,

Sorry to hear about your loss GinaG, That's a long time to own a car, since you were 22!....are you going to replace it with another Corrado?

Feel bad for asking but i've just got to :cry: , have you still got it, would you consider breaking it and can i buy the leather. :)

oo may have to let you know on that one, still argueing on the phone, they have only valued it at £4200 at the moment as a VR6 but if i can prove it is a Storm then they will repair it, will let you know.

If it does still get wrote-off though i'll be in contact, the leather is in mint condition, no rips and no-one ever sits in the back of the car!

Grrrrrrrrr :snipersmile: vultures! :)

Dead before pronouced dead. Have you no sense of preservation? (And that applies to any poorly Corrado! - It is a limited supply item.)

The issue here is whether it should be written off. All too convenient for the insurance to hand cash out.

A Storm has just been repaired like this in Buxton with £4,500 worth of repairs by an insurance company (June/July 2005).

I know the car and it is a genuine one but putting that into writing is the only way with the insurance. The sales invoice should be sufficient as it's proof in writing but Volkswagen Customer Services should be requested to put a short letter together based on the chassis number that they ordered it as a Storm.

I've answered this mornings email for you Gina. Telephone number is in it for you for Volkswagen. Don't accept that settlement price, it is too low ie., it's trade value.

There's an argument that says it is worth repairing. About 7 years ago I gave the insurance assessor 4 options when they did this to me.

1. You write it off - No way

2. You repair it - Acceptable to me

3. You and I come to some compromise on the repair costs - Well I'll do this if I have no other option but 1.

4. Keep your hands off it, sorry to have wasted your time - Grit your teeth and hope it's not the option that finalises.

The result was the car was repaired and fully paid for by the insurance AND I am still driving around in it today :) . At the time the car was value was about £3,000 at most. Repair bill, £2,750.

Bottom line to the above is what are the costs of repair -v- value -v- wanting the car now it's damaged.

oo may have to let you know on that one, still argueing on the phone, they have only valued it at £4200 at the moment as a VR6 but if i can prove it is a Storm then they will repair it, will let you know.

If it does still get wrote-off though i'll be in contact, the leather is in mint condition, no rips and no-one ever sits in the back of the car!

Really Sorry to hear about your Car. That must be gutting, heres me moaning about parking dinks are your fighting to stop them from writing off your beloved.

Can someone enlighten me as to why they ask for the value of your car when you start a new policy? If they are going to come back with there own price, what is the point in giving a high value and lifting up the total premium.

lukeage, I seriously think it's just to gauge a measure of how much they're gonna rip you off and how much you know that they're gonna rip you off... :|

"Grrrrrrrrr vultures!"

Yeah felt bad about that one but gotta get my oar in first :lol:

Seriously though hope they dont write it off i'd be so livid if my vr was crashed into by a drunk driver.

Im sure if you can get the chassis numbers proved as storms you will get it sorted.

If not go back to my first post!!

Sadly its easier to get a car written off if your down south as labour rates are higher,Its widely known up here that insurance companies send cars up here to be repaired to avoid writing them off.

I phoned Vw customer services last week,give the reg number or chassis number and they will say a corrado storm... well they did to me last week.

Good luck getting your 'Storm' fixed

Roy

Oh P.s any Pre-Prang photos to get us drooling ?

Unfortunately insurance companies will try anything to get out of paying up, even though you've no doubt paid double the amount of repair costs over the years!

My insurance company actually insure my car as a Storm, which was on the option list of VR6's. AFAIK this is because a Storm is IG 19 whereas a "normal" VR is IG 18.

Once you have proof from VW your problems should be sorted, good luck.

Unfortunately insurance companies will try anything to get out of paying up, even though you've no doubt paid double the amount of repair costs over the years!

My insurance company actually insure my car as a Storm, which was on the option list of VR6's. AFAIK this is because a Storm is IG 19 whereas a "normal" VR is IG 18.

Once you have proof from VW your problems should be sorted, good luck.

even tho they are quite happy to charge you IG 19 for your Storm...........i'd be pretty sure that if push came to shove and you were also unfortunate to have to claim they'd then all of a sudden also be asking you to prove that it was one

Storm has just been repaired like this in Buxton with £4,500 worth of repairs by an insurance company (June/July 2005).

Where you from RW1- Its just I live in Buxton and I can't think of any body shop here I would sent my car to? or was the car itself from Buxton?

Cheers

Mike

Yep phone VW customer car on 0800 711 811, press 3 on switchboard for general enquiries, then quote your reg and they'll confirm it's a storm. They'll send it to in writing on request. I did it the other day just to have the official paperwork (even though being Mystic Blue there's no doubts).

Do you work there? or is that where the car was fixed?

ermmm, No.

The Storm came from Preston after it's accident took out the front wing and suspension and rear offside. Owner well pleased with the recommendation as I am always with them. Been using them for the last 20 years for bodywork repairs.

Part of an old VW / Audi delearship based in Buxton & Glossop - now Audi Links of Macclesfield.

Can someone enlighten me as to why they ask for the value of your car when you start a new policy? If they are going to come back with there own price, what is the point in giving a high value and lifting up the total premium.

Basically in this case the claim will be paid out by the third party's insurers. This means Gina's insurance company will only argue on her behalf up to the value she stated when the policy was taken out. Your premium is based on this value.

It's a catch 22 situation. My G60 is insured for £2000 TPF&T, Based on the fact that as i would not be covered if i caused an accident anyway, i'd rather make my premium as cheap as possible. I have good contacts in the insurance industry and would be capable of fighting my corner if i had to claim from a third party. [as it happens, i am doing this at the moment!]

If my policy was fully comp, i would only go through an insurer who provides an 'agreed value' policy. [however, as Henny will say, this is not always perfect :mad: ]

GinaG

As already recommended, contact VW for proof. Provide adverts for similar cars to show the 'real world' sales prices [check here and auto trader]

Reccommend that an independant assessor checks the car over. They should really be the person to contact VW, but thats never gonna happen!

May think of more advise in the morning... but its nearly bedtime!

BTW.. 'ooh ahh just a little bit' :wink: