Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

Chinese use Rado dash in their Jetta

Oooh - I wonder if they're the same heater control panels...

Sounds like people might finally be able to get hold of the switch blanks too :)

It's rather odd seeing such a strange mish-mash of old and new parts tho!

was wondering how cream undertrays would look on a black dash....thanks for that made my mind up not to do it

Weird old cocktail of stuff there.. MK4 door pulls / electric window controls and probably the door cards too.

Very weird! :)

Clocks look sweet... and I bet these come with red illumination - time to order a load of switches and heater controls from China! Anyone speak Chinese? 8)

My University has hundreds of chinese students. Sure if we were desperate enough I could put out a plea for help on a notice board ;)

Factory fit aircon looking at the pics as well... wonder if that could be transplanted into the Rado.

my corrado owning mate has a chinese wife. she'd be more than happy to make contact with VW china and see whats available.

At worst, he would bring/post stuff back on their next trip out there [prob chinese new year-feb]

Will left hand heater controls fit in right hand dash?

Can someone work out if the aircon will fit?

I'm sure switches wont be a prob. Any idea about getting part nos? or is that down to me!?

If you work out those bits, i'll do the rest... Group buy here we come!!

Yay.. someone always knows someone for VW stuff.. forums can be a wonderful thing sometimes.

Will left hand heater controls fit in right hand dash?

Can someone work out if the aircon will fit?

I'm sure switches wont be a prob. Any idea about getting part nos?

The Corrado dashes are a mix of either way dash item, left handed or right handed.

Heater controls are handed cos the whole unit in the dash swaps sides so cables won't be the correct length etc. Headlight switch is common handed but may not be a dim-dip version. Dash switches the same either way of the dash, just minor cosmetic changes.

There's probably more in the detail of things....... such as:

The Aircon switches are separate but what was never available was the three rotor controls panel having aircon illuminated legends. Only one exists to my knowledge in a RHD Corrado. Specially done at the vendors/suppliers factory for a UK owner as a one off.

The Aircon switches are separate but what was never available was the three rotor controls panel having aircon illuminated legends. Only one exists to my knowledge in a RHD Corrado. Specially done at the vendors/suppliers factory for a UK owner as a one off.

Are you sure? The corrado I saw before buying mine had aircon switches on the rotor control panel. Looked better that way too 8)

Yes, it is not actually part of the heater control panel.

The air con switch unit is part 535 959 543. The modified 12volts socket surround is 535 863 284B - 01C(black) and the heater control panel if you notice has the legend "AIR Condition".

The heater control panel is LHD in the photo (obviously) but the detail is that the fan speed & direction controls are the opposite hand to a RHD panel. VAG didn't not fit factory Air Con for the RHD C's so no heater control panel exists as a spare for a RHD with the "AIR Condition" legend.

The owner went to Preh-Werke, Rheinmetall Elektronik of Bad Neustadt, Germany who made the original LHD/RHD heater control panels and after 3 months of diplomacy (pestering), one appeared free of charge out of the blue, correctly made in RHD layout with and "AIR Condition" legend (c. Winter1997/1998).

Headlight switch is common handed but may not be a dim-dip version

There is no difference in a dim dip system headlight switch and a non dim dip system switch, the difference is in the rest of the wiring.

The switches do differ in that the D-D switch has an extra pin (58D) and an extra set of contacts built into the switch plate and if the bog standard owner wanted D-D, the non D-D switch cannot operate the UK D-D circuit even if the yellow wire is fitted.

The other way round it doesn't matter as the wire is missing on non-UK cars, so the switch contact (58D) connects to open space.

But..... also the end fitting plug at the dash and the switches back plate do have orientation key ways (can be broken off to suit) which prevent fitting the wrong switch standard for the car.

Corrado's must be different to other VW's so, cause all my Polo's have the same switch even though some are ex-UK dim-dip and others are Irish spec non dim-dip models :?

You can probably get hold of the switches etc from China, but as a guy on the Volksforum says - they're not actually made by VW so will probably be even cheaper plastic than the original Corrado parts.

The car is also LHD and a Jetta, so it'll have a very different engine-bay layout. AC was always a factory-fit option on LHD cars - it's only when they moved everything around for us RHD lot that the factory AC no longer fitted.