Sign in to follow this  
g60griff

changing cv joints

as it says above, has anyone got any tips on changing these. i changed the boots last year for the mot and they are split again. only thing is ive neglected this fact because it wasnt running right so my passenger side oter cv joint has started to sqeak and vibrate all the time, i think its shagged. so il be changing both cv joints because of making it 5 stud. any tips? cheers

Did you remove the joints to fit the CV boots ? If so, it's the same proceedure - just make sure you use large amounts of grease & work it well into the new joints before fitting them.

So far as I'm aware, making it 5 stud will involve changing the whole driveshaft ?

If you get the VW CV gaitor kits then you need to use all of the tube that comes with it - half on eash side of the cv joint.

The newer VAG ones are plastic instead of rubber too and are a hell of a lot easier to fit.

The newer VAG ones are plastic instead of rubber too and are a hell of a lot easier to fit.

Yep I got one of those - mk5 golf part...

g60griff, the 5 stud cars (mk3 GTi's and C VR6's) also had a wider track by 10mm each side *I think*, hence different track rods, arbs etc...

g60griff, Best get some advice from somebody who has already done the conversion. All of the above are possible pitfalls.

So far as I can see, your main potential problem will be the length of the driveshafts. VR's have a wider front track & so far as I know they also have longer driveshafts.

Nicely written but IMO - assembling & fitting a "dry" joint is just asking for trouble. This may seriously reduce the lifespan of the new joint & could invalidate any warranty.

Much safer & better to completely strip the joint, grease it properly & re-assemble before fitting it to the driveshaft.