Sign in to follow this  
PoorMansPorsche

Arrrrrrrghhhh - Alternator Buzzzzzzzzzz from Amp???

alrighty peeps

apologies if this has been asked before but couldnt find anything under the search

1, Fitted amp and pioneer 10 inchers to me 1990 16valver

2, Sound comes out lovely

3, switch on engine - extremely annoying hiss / buzz comes out in the background

I tried moving the earth on the amp but to no avail - any idea's ??

Cheers

Brett

RCAs RHS as in driver's side? That would mean they had to pass the fusebox would it not? My power leads run along the passenger side of the car and the RCA leads run along the centre tunnel. I'd suggest maybe relocating them for a start.

Are you taking the amplifier earth directly from the battery? If not I'd recommend that too.

Had that problem once, the head unit wasn't properly earthed, worth just checking where the lead goes. I found that my 'earth' lead off the factory loom ended up going nowhere!

Alternatively, you could try an alternator suppressor, they're only about a quid and dead easy to fit.

Should earth the head unit and amp at the same point. A nause but prevents a lot of earth loop action. Or at least join the 2 points with a piece of wire.

Gavin

I had this problem last year, make sure your earths are very good, ie bright shiny metal. My problem eventually turned out to be a duff amp that was only discovered by substitution by another one. A good test is to remove the RCA leads from the amp and see if the speakers are still buzzing. That way you can identify if the noise is on the power supply cable or the signal (RCA) cables.

If its an old cheapo amp theres prolly not a lot you can do :|

EDIT: oh yeah there is buy a new one :)

My RCA's are running next to my fuse box with no probs. Perhaps exhaust all your other avenues before you start re-routing cables :)