Sign in to follow this  
Dougalo

Tyres

I have no doubt that a similar topic has been posted umpteen times, but i couldn't find anything on search!

I have a 16v with standard 195/50 wheels - what tyres do you guys recommend? Bearing in mind I am not a millionairre! I won't be doing any Fast and the Furious style driving, but at the same time do need decent (affordable) tyres in case i get the urge!! :twisted:

Cheers!

You'll get lots of differing opinions on tyres, but I'm on Toyo Proxes T1-S, although these are being phased out for the T1-R. Been through two sets now and I've been quite impressed with them.

I'm sure there'll be somewhere in Stirling doing them for a decent price, but I got mine from Fair Deal Tyres in Grangemouth for £40 each fitted.

Hope this helps! :)

Goodyear Eagle F1's (GS-D3) usually win all the awards for the best allround tyre. You can get them for less than £45 a corner. However I heard recently that the Toyo Proxy T1-R may have surpassed it now, they don't look as good but are slightly cheaper and last longer.

I've not tried the T1-R but have had Eagles on a few of my cars and found them nothing short of fantastic, you need to push extremely hard before they start to lose grip (both in the wet and dry).

Mine's currently running on Proxy T1-S's and whilst they're a good tyre I had more confidence with Eagles on.

With the Toyo Proxes T1-S, you will get a lot of different views by many people, I use them and I really don't like them, neither does kevhaywire, but other people seem to love them. But I have heard that the T1-Rs are better, and they are pretty cheap, may well be worth a try.

I've also read a few good reviews of the Kumho Ecsta KU31. Has anyone used them or heard anything good/bad about them?

Goodyear Eagle F1's (GS-D3) usually win all the awards for the best allround tyre.

That's good to know seeing as I have 4 GSD3s on their way to me at the moment for H-YYU... 8) http://www.mytyres.co.uk strikes again... ;)

Those are some cheap prices, looks like i may be paying them a visit fairly soon.

What about fitting? can you just wander up to a quick fit and get them to fit tyres you have bought from somewhere else?

Old tyres off new ones on, valves and balanced will be £30-40.. try and do a deal for the ones that are already on. Some places won't fit tyres that have been purchased from elsewhere as i found out .....best to ring round....cheapest i got was £28 all four...most expensive £42.

What about fitting a used tyre? I have a acquired a perfectly good used tyre and was going to put it on my spare. Do you think places will fit a used tyre??

The toyo's T1-R's are a good tyre I had them fitted to my 17's on the rado before I took ity off the road and they seemed really grippy in the wet and dry so imo they are a good tyre. If you goto http://www.mytyres.co.uk I think they're about £30 each there if they're not your thing then there are plenty of other top brands that are under the £40 mark!

i`ve found toyo`s to be good when they`re new but after some months of wear they really go off in the wet

i`ve found toyo`s to be good when they`re new but after some months of wear they really go off in the wet

Which Toyo's are you talking about here, T1-S or T1-R, or both?

I took her out last night (I have the T1-S all round) and it was scary in the wet, forget putting your foot down, it's not gonna go anywhere.

Dr Forinor- are you running the standard 15's if so pressures are you using?

Dr Forinor- are you running the standard 15's if so pressures are you using?

No, I'm on 17s, which I suppose does make it slightly worse.

I bought 4 eagle F1'S GS-D3 195x50x15 from here last week....Brilliant tyres....£38 each delivered. Took 3 days to come.

mytyres.co.uk

Great price for good tyres there!

Yep you can't go wrong with the F1's!

One of my best mates was manager of the local tyre place until last month (he's now training to be a plumber) and said the T1-R is supposedly slightly better but because it's so new there's no real information on how they last long term so it's better to stick with the F1's for now.

The reason T1-S's aren't as good in the wet after a few months is because they're a harder compound, so whilst you'll get an extra 6000 miles or so more from them over F1's you won't get anything like the level of grip. The only reason my car has them on now is because it already had two on the front so I put new ones on the rears to make them all match (and I could get them for £27 a corner fitted 8) )

Oh, and avoid Michelin, my year out from Uni was spent working for a rubber chemicals company that sold to all the major tyre manufacturers and Michelin bought the cheap "seconds" that non of the other majors wanted!