Sign in to follow this  
Jonny_L

Need more bass

Hi guys, I've just moved my stereo from my old car into my new corrado.

So far i've got the head unit in, and made a stealth shelf for some kenwood 6x9s, running the standard speakers in the front.

Usually i have a 10" sub in my car, but i figured in the interest of keeping bootspace and saving weight, i'm looking into different options.

I'm thinking either getting much better 6x9s and some cheapish components up front, or getting some 4" coaxials in the dash and getting some 5.25" mid bass subs in the doors, like: These

Does anyone know what the little subs are like, or which option would be better?

Cheers, Jonny

I've looked into the moulded boxes a bit, and it looks like a good option if i wanted to keep the 10" i've got, but i'm thinking more along the lines of just getting the little ones in the doors instead.

I've just never heard them or met anyone with them, so i was wondering if anyone else has?

I'll keep the moulded box in mind though. i've always fancied making one of them myself.

nice and messy.

cheers, Jonny

jonny

i currently run a small 10 incher in the boot in a space saver box not ported but on a 400w soundstream amp ( box is as wide as the single rear seat and angled the same as the rear seat shape and comes out as far as the just b4 the middle of the spare wheel cover

then i have boston accoustics component 6's in the doors and tweeters in the dash and very rare boston acoustics 4x6's in the std rear locations running through passive x'overs via a 6 channel soundstream amp the head unit is a 2 year old alpine cd tuner with build in x overs and stuff cost over 3 years is prob £1500

it would not win any sound off's but the clarity is mega and as for the sub i can bounce a pound coin of the roof

the best thing to do is to match as best you can the speakers and amps ill be honest 6x9's suck in a rear shelf (really there a mid range speaker)unless you can find a pair of alpine 6x9 subs i had some there free air and work mint in a shelf if you want to save space in the boot

remember the std speaker set up and locations in a c was designed for a bit of radio not a pumping stereo system if you want big get professional door builds and get a box made for the boot with 6 jl 10w 6's and a 1500watt rocky fosgate amp

1 thing to remember if your in the market for amps there is a big difference between american and jap watts 50 american watts is equal to about 200 japan watts same goes for speakers

its also worth putting dynamat behind the door speakers and around the rear speaker pods as this will help with reverbarations and keep the sound in your car not outside it like the corsa's and punto's at the local car park remember the louder it is out side your car the quiter it is inside

hope this helps

kel

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to post the other day, I've decided to stick with my old 10" sub and am half way through building a fibreglass box to fit in the side, and i've spent my tunes money on getting some decent JBL components and a JBL amp.

Thats interesting about the difference between japanese and american wattage, i'll remember that in future.

One day, i'm aiming to get some coaxials in the rear shelf and box them off so the sub doesn't kill them. now that i've put components in, the 6x9s really sound a bit pants compared.

I aim to have the lot finished by next week and i'll put some pics up in the gallery forum.

Thanks again, Jonny