Sign in to follow this  
DragonAttack

White residue

Just topped up the oil in my VR and noticed a small smearing of white residue on the underside of the filler cap.

There's been no obvious symptoms of anything untoward though the motor has been idle for long periods recently and a (fairly) recent coolant leak was sorted by changing the pump and some other bit that had broken.

There appears to be a very light coolant loss over the last 2-3 months also but this is barely noticeable.

Am I in a bit of bother?

Is it still there after you take the car for a good run and get it fully warmed up?

If it's not, then don't worry about it.

If you are losing coolant and have a white residue in the filler cap it could be a leaking head gasket and water contaminating the oil.

Check the water in the expansion tank to see if there is anything untoward in there?

Commonly termed as "mayonnaise".

Usually caused by short journeys where the engine doesn't fully warm-up & condensation does not have time to evaporate. The fact that your car has been idle for a while could also cause this.

Head gasket would usually have gone completely by now, if it's been leaking for 2-3 months.

Small coolant leaks can usually be found by looking for residue - around the pipe connections, etc.

i've had a small amount of mayo in my VR oil cap for the past 4 years of ownership,its nothing more sinister than condensation,it'll dissappear by the time you've done over 5miles on a trip and the engine has properly warmed up