Sign in to follow this  
cymru-corrado

fuel

so let me get this straight, Tesco do NOW sell thihs 99 ron fuel, and if they do is it limited to the south or something cos i have seen it available at my local tesco garage.

Tesco do NOW sell thihs 99 ron fuel, and if they do is it limited to the south or something

Thats how I understand it from about a week ago in the papers. 100 outlets in the southeast only at the moment after an initial few in a trial period.

If you can find it, Total Super is the supposedly the highest rated before the recent fuel version appeared but when I tried it 2 years ago in the VR6, there was no noticeable difference to Sainsbury's or BP or Texaco supers. Can't speak for Shell (yuk I'm afraid but petrol & oils, despite what I read about their Optimax version, my 8v engines seem to carbon up and stop starting first turn of the key after about two weeks) Peronally use Sainsbury's Super. Cheap and the preformance is there, much on a par with Texaco Super.

Just scored myself a bargain. Did a bit of beer and curry shopping at Tesco, combined it with the new star wars DVD and managed to spend over 50 quid.

they give you a voucher for 5p off a litre on their fuel.

TESCO 99RON at 92.9p a litre :D :D :D

bargain! its unfortunate that you have to spend £50 or more in the shop to get it. but if youre going to spend that anyway. Otherwise you arent making any saving cos youve had to spend more in the shop. Its better then not having the 5p off at all though.

Using higher octane fuels on G60 engines is only useful if your chip has the corresponding maps!

The 189-ending chip (B-code ECU, early G60s) only has 95 octane maps, the 636-ending chip (DP-ECU, late G60s) has a 98 octane map as well. My Zoran chip even has a 100 octane map :-)

If pinking is detected the ECU selects a lower octane map.

Tempest

i think the trail has ended a sucess as theres 2 tescos near me that now sell the 99ron stuff, helpfully one of which is the on down the road from santa pod, so its moveing north now

Well if anybody has tried this 99RON on a remapped VR6, please let me know if it makes any difference. I use super plus at the mo and haven't even tried Optimax. Should I be using optimax for that 1 extra RON?

For the VR6 2.9ltr, there is very little difference if any in the dyno graphs below 4,000 rpm between 95 & 98RON petrol grades (ECU automatically adjusts). The extra comes significantly in the 5,500rpm range to 6,500rpm area. +1RON=............