Sign in to follow this  
Dec

Mystery clunk!!

Hey guys!

The latest mystery problem :roll: :roll: :roll:

I get a funny 'clunking' noise from the drivers side front wheel area now and again when pulling off from being stopped!!! It seems to be related to the speed of the wheels rotation!

It doesn't make it any other time....but it seems worse just after the car has been parked for a while (overnight etc)

Struts, springs, topmounts, wishbones/bushes, calipers, disks and balljoints have all recently been changed....and it just passed its MOT (well failed for headlight definition, but everything else passed!)

so whats left down there that can go 'clunk'......drive shaft balance weight thing, cv joint, wheel bearing......anyone got any ideas?

It's a 1.8 16v btw :wink:

Possibly the drive shaft weight has come loose. If it has just cut it off, makes no difference whatsoever (I'm bound to get proved wrong on that again though!!! I cut mine off when it came loose (The weight on the driveshaft people!))

Thats what my first thoughts were!!!

No prolem to cut the thing off then (if it is the problem!!)

I hope you're not referring to the ABS "self test" that's carried out at 10km/h after every ignition turn on ... ?

That can feel a lot like a clunk ..

I hope you're not referring to the ABS "self test" that's carried out at 10km/h after every ignition turn on ... ?

That can feel a lot like a clunk ..

I'll bet you're right aswell mate, exactly the same thoughts as what i had when i first got my Corrado.

Its quite noisy aswell, just the valves opening and closing i believe, its in the manual.

Put the wheel to full lock, then reverse.

Put on opposite lock and go forwards.

Does it clunk both times then too?

(Though not every time)

If so, I've got the same problem on my VR too.

By the time the car's in the air though on ramps, its all solid...

An empty car park is a good idea.

Else you look like a mad-man ;)

Ah, I wouldn't worry about that........I'm sure the neighbours on my road are already doubting my sanity!!!!

The cursing and shouting coming from underneath my car when I'm working on it should have convinced them pretty quickly!!!! :-P

Wheel bearings? bottom ball joints? Shocks can clunk when cold sometimes. Seizing track rod inner ball joints? There's lots of moving parts under there that can clunk!

(All the above are new on mine, for example ...! :( )