Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

driver's door handle

I've just found that I can't open my driver's door from the outside.What do I look for now? Has something snapped, bent, fallen off, come loose or any combination of the above?

Probably the crappy metal striking pin in the handle has snapped off :(

Really bad design!

New handle I'm afraid. You could always try delocking with Passat handles- much cheaper and more security concious :D

Yeah, something's snapped off alright. I heard it drop into the bottom of the door when I took the handle off.If I get hold of a new handle is it easy to have my lock in the replacement? I don't fancy a keyring full of keys.

most passats don't have the autoclosure and i don't think they go straight on, do they? when this happened to me, i checked out passats and toledos and the levers are dfferent lengths. ended up buying new - good tactic is to go to vw and say you can get cheaper at eurocar parts and they'll give you a decent discount cos they know they're loosing lots of trade to e-c-p.

still paid about £40 though

I'm pretty sure I haven't the skill to do the mod anyway.I certainly don't have the inclination.Also, I've been assured that the lock swap is dead easy.I can only dream about 40 pounds though;the price at ECP at the moment is nearer 70.

broony,

vw dealer gave 15% discount - sure it wasn't more than £45.

Go to the mill on newcastle road heading into sunderland - i'm at east boldon and thats where i got mine.

I'll certainly give that a go.I'm onnodding terms with some of the parts staff there, having owned several old VWs over the past ten years.Apart from the corrado, my wife drives a tornado red H reg Golf GTI( which some scally seems to be stealing from us bit by bit off our drive.)

I'm pretty sure I haven't the skill to do the mod anyway.I certainly don't have the inclination.Also, I've been assured that the lock swap is dead easy.I can only dream about 40 pounds though;the price at ECP at the moment is nearer 70.

GPC do them for approx £45+vat too

I'm as happy as a happy thing to hear that, 'cos on the ECP website the prices vary,depending on chassis number and door side, between 60 and 90 pounds.What gives?

Make sure when removing the key barrel when swaping from broken handle to new one the key is still in the lock. If you take the key out all of the parts will fall out and you will be buying new barrels and getting vw to make them up for you.

Thanks for that.This is where these forums really come into their own.I would have been totally knackered with that kind of lock misery.Another invaluble tip I picked up from the forum was about the driver's side handle screw having a left hand thread.