Sign in to follow this  
cuske

Anyone know their sciroccos?

i can only speak from experience & if i was going to buy a rocco it would def be an injection version but then i'm sure there's load of excellent carb versions still going strong. loads of rocco's already have the weber conversion so you might be in luck. def worth a look though. just beware of the brakes or lack of!!!

So the suspension off my mk2 golf will fit a scirocco when I get one?

No. Off a mk1 will fit

As for the gt2, if you get a late nice speced one just go for it! not the fastest but a solid (often more so than older roccos) car that will do its job. Stick a weber on it and enjoy!

I've been on hols for a week and just caught this.

A few other details and clarifications:

GT2 90 HP carb , GTX - 112 HP inj (as Tempest has already implied)

GTX has a smaller spline '4-button' steering wheel, GT2 has a larger spline wheel similar to that found on the Golf G60.

GTX and Scala Injection have a close-ratio box, the GT2 has a 4+E.

GTX has MFA (as does the Scala Inj - injection engine) and a voltmeter (which Scalas and GTIIs don't)

Different paint options for each model:

http://www.cybertects.co.uk/scirocco/pa ... index.html

Other useful Link o' the day - Dr Dub's site

http://website.lineone.net/~dr.dub/

Having owned a GTII and an injection Scala in my time, I'll add my 2p to favouring the injection models over the carbed ones. Both entirely grin-worthy, but the DX has definitely got the edge

My bro has a D plate GTS. I think it was quite a rare model, where does it fit into all of that?

It's a metallic gun metal grey, has a colour coded kit, and had the 14" 5 spoke Ronal Wheels on it..

Not now though..

Steve

April/May 1985 1st release of GTS, 1,000 cars with 1800 carb engine & 4+E gearbox. Basically a stripped down GTX with steel pepperpot wheels, no c/locking, but the brakes and suspension. 4 colours red, white, black & blue. Sports seats interior. Steel sunroof option. Red seems to have been 50% of the colours made, followed by white, black and it was rare to see the blue version. (This all applies to the UK model version only).

Had a red one for 6 years. Nice motorway gear the "E" with engine at 2,750 at 65 mph-ish if I remember. Carb became of bother though after 50K miles (Pierburg 2E2) as the oil fumes/breather became stronger due to wear. Only an injection one bought new very cheaply winkle picked me out of it. 3rd gear was very good given it only had 90bhp.

April/May 1986 2nd release. 750 cars. Same car basically but 3 darkish metallic colours, sports 5 speed geabox, 1800 90bhp carb engine again (P-2E2), pirelli P wheels as standard. Sports GTX running gear and sports seats. Steel sunroof an option. (This all applies to the UK model version only)

Gun metal grey metallic seems to have been the most made version of the three colours.

The GTS was a model name used in other markets but the spec of those differs again.

The trick a few peeps did in the early years was to stick the "S" badge on the rear panel of a 1600GT of the same age and claim GTS 7.5% price uplift as per Parkers guide. There was no real way of knowing unless you knew the model had to have a 1800 engine. This trick applied to the 1985 1st batch version as the solid colours were still more popular at that time and you could hardly tell the two car apart.

The trick a few peeps did in the early years was to stick the "S" badge on the rear panel of a 1600GT of the same age and claim GTS 7.5% price uplift as per Parkers guide.

Hope you weren't one of them :lol:

I'd still go hunting around for an injector engine version of the Mk2 Rocco, TBH, even though the GT2s may all be newer, but they do have the sometimes problematic Pierburg carbs to contend with.

Tempest

I haven't read all of this thread so forgive me if this ground has already been covered. If you're over 6 foot you won't fit in a Scirocco. My mate's got one and I have to crank my head to the side when I drive it. (I'm 6 foot 1ish)

Hope you weren't one of them

I'd still go hunting around for an injector engine version of the Mk2 Rocco

Whot me? :roll: :angel:

Totally agree on injection, much smoother engine but not as torquey at the bottom end unless a 16v/Audi 5 cylinder warm-up regulator is plumbed in and a vacuum run from the inlet manifold vacuum.