Sign in to follow this  
hotoval1

Oil Pressure sensors

The oil pressure light and warning bleeper are beginning to upset me. The sensor goes off when the oil is hot and the engine reving between 2K and 2.5K RPM. It does not go off above or below those figures and is fine at idle. The engine runs o.k and is full of oil.

I am not sure I have the correct sensors as I seem to have three available wires (yellow, blue/white and blue/black) with two single spade connectors (black and white).

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

OK, I seem to remember that BOTH oil pressure switches are on the oil filter head on the KR engine (1.8 16V) and that the blue/white one is a spare, but I don't have my destruction manual with me at work so I can't confirm that... Anyone out there with a KR wanna have a quick look in their engine bay and let us know which wire goes to which sensor? 8)

Come on guys there must be someone out there who can advise on this problem.

If you do not know the cure maybe you could at least tell me how the two sensors work with the oil light and bleeper.

It must be simple but I just don't know what to try first.

thanks

I have just been asking the same questions with a valver and reckon I have wrong sensors so hopefully these are the same answers for you black sensor 1.4 yellow wire and brown sensor 0.3 blue/black wire. Hope this helps

Just seen this and was gonna pop the bonnet, but looks like you now have the wiring answer. Come back if you're still having probs with her

Hi I have a G60 with the same problem,oil light flashing,buzzer sounding,goes away after a few blips of the throttle.Oil pressure & level ok.Water ok. Help its doin my swede in.

i have this same problem - ive got a 1.8 16v - mine goes off when the engines cold or if i just over rev it. i was told to just replace the clocks as its a resistor thats gone. i never got round to doing this but i had an oil change and that sorted it for a while. i find if u just flick the ignition off and on it sorts it too

you shoulnt really run fully synthetic in a g60, but i would seriously look into this problem. the oil pick in the sump can sometimes get blocked causing low oil pressure.

the sensor could be duff, or it could be something more serious as i found out

I know! I know!!

Same things been happening on my '91 G60.

Ive just been told i need to replace my engine. Get it looked by a professional asap.

The pressure in my engine was basically non-existant once warmed up. I was advised to 'preferably' replace the engine, or at the very least a whole bottom end rebuild.

Of course there are any number of solutions to your individual car problems, but its sod's law that i need to replace my engine.

*edit - rob b seems to be familiar with this too!*

yeah im familier with all of this, i took the head off mine and no1 piston wasnt the shape it was supposed to be!! so hence my g60 is sitting in a workshop with no engine in!

there is light at the end of the tunnel as i have a new engine and it should be a belter!!

it might be that your using the wrong coloured sender?different colours represent different pressures.

I thought it was yellow wire to white swith and other to blue switch?

Thanks for that.I'm thinking of changeing to different oil,(any Recomendations welcome).It already had new sensors but I'll try the pick up just in case.

According to the Haynes Golf manual (for all models since 1987):

Yellow: 1.8 bar (normally open)

Blue/white: 0.3 bar (normally closed)

Hi getting confused with the colours here,my G60 has a white switch on top of oil filter housing & a blue switch on oil line to charger,My Bently manual says black on filter housing brown on the other,can anybody clear this up.

Hoorah,Cured my bloody beeping.Changed the oil to Magnatex and changed my oil pressure switch from white to black as stated in Bently manual.It had actually stopped beeping just by changing the oil.Make sure you get the right grade though.