Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

transfering private plates... help!

At the moment my C has a private plate on which actually belongs to chrisvr6 nos, and as i'm selling the car, he wants it back (never got around to transfering it thinking we had plenty of time!) anywho, I'm not sure how to go about it, the DVLA has a pretty good FAQ but it doesnt seem to answer this specific question. Will I (he!) have to pay the standard £80 transfer fee to take the plate off my car and return it to its original plate, then another £80 to put it on chris's car? or can we do a car-to-car transfer?

You will only have to pay one £80 fee. This is required to take it off your car and put it on another. An age related plate will then be automatically assigned to your car.

pretty sure that only applies if it is going on to your new car................as its on your motor at the moment it is legally yours,so in theory chrisvr6nos cant put it on his car as there is no connection............best thing to do is for you to put the number on retention which cost £105........but lets you when the paperwork comes back sign it over to chrisvr6nos and he has up to a year to put it on his motor..........i'm in a similar boat with the 993 you see, and thats what my local DVLA office said was quickest/easiest to do

You will only have to pay one £80 fee. This is required to take it off your car and put it on another. An age related plate will then be automatically assigned to your car.

99.9% of the time your car will just get back it's original number.

pretty sure that only applies if it is going on to your new car................as its on your motor at the moment it is legally yours,so in theory chrisvr6nos cant put it on his car as there is no connection............best thing to do is for you to put the number on retention which cost £105........but lets you when the paperwork comes back sign it over to chrisvr6nos and he has up top a year to put it on his motor..........i'm in a similar boat with the 993 you see

Actually no - ownership of the car isn't a problem.

I just sold the private plate which came with my car.

Sold it to a random guy through e-bay who payed the £80 transfer fee.

My car just reverted back to its original number.

pretty sure that only applies if it is going on to your new car................as its on your motor at the moment it is legally yours,so in theory chrisvr6nos cant put it on his car as there is no connection............best thing to do is for you to put the number on retention which cost £105........but lets you when the paperwork comes back sign it over to chrisvr6nos and he has up top a year to put it on his motor..........i'm in a similar boat with the 993 you see

Actually no - ownership of the car isn't a problem.

I just sold the private plate which came with my car.

Sold it to a random guy through e-bay who payed the £80 transfer fee.

My car just reverted back to its original number.

its not ownership of the car tho........its ownership of the plate(or rather entitlement of it),unless chrissh puts it on his new motor he can't transfer it directly back to chrisvr6nos unless he(CH) puts it on retention first

Yes, things do get a bit more complex with different owners being involved. When we transferred the plate off my old car to my C back in July, it was fine to transfer it from my old car (now registered to my partner) and put it on my C (registered to me), and then I bought a new plate for my old car which I had to have my partner's name added to for entitlement. The new plate came with an inclusive price for assigning it to a vehicle and so on top of that we just paid the £80 to move my plate across to my C. Not sure that my old car would have got back it's original plate if we'd not bought a new personal one for it as it has had I think at least 3 or 4 different plates in the past!

The current owner of the plate can do what he/she likes with it!

As I say, I transferred the plate on my car to a total stranger's vehicle. Paid a single £80 fee and my car reverted to it's original number.

Not quite sure what your DVLA office told you, but I did it in person myself through my local DVLA office and had the exchange complete within two weeks! (New MOT paperwork & V5 took a bit longer to come through though).

If you still don't believe me:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 6553686065

and look, I got good feedback!

I agree with yalan, you should be able to transfer it to whatever vehicle you want - providing you have the consent of the owner of the vehilce you wish to transfer it to. I took the paperwork in my loval DVLA office on one day, and the transfer was complete the following day - and that was for transferring my plate across and assigning a new personal plate to my old car for my partner.

pretty sure that only applies if it is going on to your new car................as its on your motor at the moment it is legally yours,so in theory chrisvr6nos cant put it on his car as there is no connection............best thing to do is for you to put the number on retention which cost £105........but lets you when the paperwork comes back sign it over to chrisvr6nos and he has up to a year to put it on his motor.........

Yep done it.

You can't transfer between cars unless your name is on both log books at the given time of the submission/request.

Yep done it.

You can't transfer between cars unless your name is on both log books at the given time of the submission/request.

Eh? :roll:

Yes you can - and I did - and my name was not on both V5s.

thats what i was told on friday when i tried to put the 993's old number on retention on behalf of the vendor,however if i put it on retention in my name(subject to a gentlemans agreement with the 993's vendor) when the paperwork comes thru i can put him down as the new nomineee and the rights pass on to him

yalan........do you still own the car that you sold the number off ?...........it could be different rules if you aint selling the car but just the number

Yup, I still own the car.

But since you now own the 993 and by default its plate, there is no reason you conldn't transfer the plate onto another car belonging to the 993's previous owner.

Whether you can pass it to him on retention is a different matter. No doubt to do that then you would need to put it on retention in your own name first.

Yalan, not for me at the DVLA, so someone must have either have been awkward at the office or they have different rules your way!

I think it may be hidden in the words below from the DVLA website.

"How to apply for a Cherished Transfer

The transfer scheme enables a registration number to be moved directly from one vehicle to another. Only the registered keeper of a vehicle is entitled to apply to transfer its registration number."

In the bolded part, I would interpret that to mean my name has to appear on both logbooks. Maybe your DVLA office person was not quite on the ball when you went in that day.

Be interesting to see how this one pans out as it casued me a lot of inconvenience at the time as I had to wait for the logs books to be updated.

Useful:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/cherish ... 0Transfers.

What happens if I'm buying a personalised registration as a gift or on behalf of someone else?

If you are buying a DVLA personalised registration for, or on behalf of another person you will be recorded as the purchaser and the person for whom the registration has been bought for will be recorded as the nominee. The registration mark will then be able to be put on a vehicle registered in your name or that of the nominee.

If you are buying a registration on behalf of a company we will record the company's name as the purchaser.

i think your better phoning up the DVLA and talk to someone,as there is a lot of conflicting advice :? ,im sure my brother transfered his plate to his wifes car not long ago

In fact, now I think about it - before I even put my plate on ebay, I phoned DVLA central office for advice & they told me to transfer my plate exactly as I've descibed.

So I think RW1 that it'd most likely be someone having an off day in the office at your end...... lets face it - there are a lot of rules & regs for these office bods to remember. Not that it helps you now!

It doesn't surprise me yalan, if we can't keep up with it, like you say... how can the civil servants :wink: Interesting though that Rodders got the same last week as I did a while back.

Think dazzyvr6 has the best advice given DVLA offices are interpreting the rules differently.

"i think your better phoning up the LOCAL DVLA office and talk to someone, as there is a lot of conflicting advice :? ".

Only the registered keeper of a vehicle is entitled to apply to transfer its registration number."

In the bolded part, I would interpret that to mean my name has to appear on both logbooks. Maybe your DVLA office person was not quite on the ball when you went in that day.

Hope you've got this sorted out now - but it is definately the case that you only need to be the registered keeper of the donor vehicle and not the one you want to transfer the plate to. My partner and I did this back in July. He signed the form to release the plate from his car and to have it assigned to mine.

:D cheers guys, I was reading the thread as it grew yesterday but as dazzy said, lots of conflicting advice... so I decided to wait and let you sort it out amongst yourselves before replying!

ringing the local DVLA... well duh! why didnt I think of that? jeeeez! I'm that used to finding info on the internet now I forget about simply picking up the phone and asking! once I find out I'll let you know what the score is once and for all.

Direct from the horses mouth...

"If I may explain the Cherished Transfer Scheme enables an assigned registration number to be moved directly from one vehicle to another. Only the registered keeper of a vehicle is entitled to apply to transfer its number. The application should be made to your nearest DVLA Local Office, application form V317 Transfer of a vehicle Registration Number must be completed and a transfer fee of £80 paid.

The Local Office will allocate a replacement mark to the donor vehicle. In some instances the vehicle may be re-allocated its original mark i.e. if the windscreen of the vehicle has been etched. Requests for the original mark to be re-allocated should be made to the Local Office at the time of transfer/retention.

If the vehicle receiving the number is already registered, its existing number will become void unless an application to transfer or retain that number is made at the same time.

Form V317 is available from DVLA or the DVLA Local Office. The Local Office addresses and further information on transferring a registration mark can be found on our web site listed below."

so it looks like you can do car-to-car as long as you're the registered owner of the car the plates coming off. sweet.

There's a further problem with this application mind, i'm not the registered keeper of my VR as i didn't get the full log book when i bought it!

It still belongs to some Pakistani bloke in Bradford as Keithley Cars are arses!

So it was cocked up from the beginning but the DVLA should guide us to a conclusion and i do have the little green slip part which was the bottom section of the old log book type.

Chris

How long have you had your VR6? Haven't you had to tax it? Or did you use the green slip to do that when you first got it? We had a similar situation with a lady I work with - she never got the registration document for her car - but didn't realise she should expect one as she's from Australia. Unfortunately it wasn't until she needed to apply for car tax 1 year after buying her car that she realised she couldn't get any! And then had to fill in a form to send to the DVLA. In the meantime she had a car that she couldn't tax and ended up driving around for almost a month before her registration doc came through and she could tax it!

looks like this is going to be a pain in the ar** to sort then, might just have to put it on retention for now since the cars getting looked at on saturday by a guy whos 90% sure he wants it.