Sign in to follow this  
dutch

10 Minute engine rebuid!

I'm with Zippy.

If someone wants to come round and teach me a bit by showing me how to change my timing chains and guides that that would be much appreciated! I would love to learn how to build an engine but as stinkus said, mine is somewhat needed atm. Fair play to anyone who can do it but I think in most instances they must have learnt how to (or at least some of it) of someone else... who wants to show me?!

Putting the shuttle into space is just as easy, it's just following procedures you've done hundreds of times before.. But you'll see even fewer people doing that than building their own engines..

I mean, even painting the wall is pretty easy too, but there's a right way and a wrong way .. Lots more ways to screw it up means lots more people won't bother trying! :)

You need the tools and the know how (goes without saying) and know how comes from watching and learning and having the resources to try stuff out. That lad in the video know doubt has an older brother / dad who knows what he is doing or has been / is an apprentice working in a garage (the engine mount / bench suggests that).

To approach a task like that on your jack jones armed with just a set of spanners and haynes manual would make it inevitable that you are going to hit a few major screw up's (not the right tools, wrong sequence of build etc).

Thats why it took me 4 hours last weekend to jack up my car and change the coolant :) I had not done it on a rado before & did not have a clue where the drain plug was (still think thats dumb place) - so i had to take my time and stop myself whenever i thought i may have the wrong approach. That task would have taken someone 30mins who has done it before. But next time i do it will hopefully take me 2 hours :)

So thats kind of why i post here - to gleam knowledge (and waste time at work) . My main job has some people look at me like i am some sort of super skilled egghead, but in hindsight all i have done is carry the bag for someone who had time and experience in the industry until i was at the level to be let lose myself.

* EDIT bad spelling