Sign in to follow this  
Valerian

next stupid question

New Corrado owner so be gentle with me.

Right ...where will i find the coolant thermostat on a 1.8 16 valver?

My temp guage only seems to ever go as high as 70 degrees and while i am driving along it steadily goes down even further.

So from past experience i'm assuming the engine doesn't have one fitted or it's faulty.

yep sounds like a possibility! it is located near the power steering pump/water pump base. Sadly i believe that you have to remove the steering pump to get to the bottom of the water pump.

Find all the belts and look down. (a radiator hose on the right of the vehicle goes into the flange you are looking for)

hth

Sadly i believe that you have to remove the steering pump to get to the bottom of the water pump.

Sounds about right. My mechanic was cursing me when I asked him to change mine on my old 16V, it's a pig of a job so be careful if having a go yourself.

I actually found that there wasn't even a themostat in there for one reason or another...! :?

yep sounds like a possibility! it is located near the power steering pump/water pump base. Sadly i believe that you have to remove the steering pump to get to the bottom of the water pump.

Find all the belts and look down. (a radiator hose on the right of the vehicle goes into the flange you are looking for)

hth

Blasted typical......i had the power steering pump off last week to change the drive belts and the crankshaft pulley....pffffft .....would you adam and eve it?

Blasted typical......i had the power steering pump off last week to change the drive belts and the crankshaft pulley....pffffft .....would you adam and eve it?

Least you know it comes off, be carefull with the 2 bolts that hold the flange on they can snap!

Are you sure that you can't do the stat with the PAS pump fitted. I did on my Passat. The elbow was leaking and I could get to it easy enough.

Replacing the pump will defo need the PAS pump out of the way though.

Mike, do you get hot air out of the blower? If so then you can't take the temp gauge as being gospel. IMO all the Corrado and Passat clocks read really low. My syncro would run at just over 90, the 2 litre GL was bob on 80. The 1800 GT I have now is just under 90 and the 16v Corrado I have does the same as you describe and the temp drops maybe 10 degrees once you get to Mway speeds.

I am pretty sure all the above cars use the same thermostat.

I think you should just drive it, you can't have been far yet so take whatever you see in the next couple of weeks as being normal for that car. Anything different after that could be a problem.

The daftest question is the one you didn't ask. Someone will eventually give you a serious answer, if there is one. Ask away.

Gavin

Gavin......yes i do get hot air out of the blower.....but not what i'de judge it to be hot enough.

The radiator fan seems to come on when it is supposed to so that's one thing.

I have also noticed that the coolent pipes seem rather spongey and will look slightly inflated when the car gets to it's warmest.

Then again....i can only judge by the number of other cars i've had in the past and have never owned a VW before.

I don't use the car a great deal at the moment anyway so i'll prob see how things go for the time being but i will change the thermostat eventually just for some peace of mind.