Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

What is high Mileage (1990 G60)

Well I'm new to the Corrado scene, so please excuse me if I'm saying things that are obvious or just plain stupid (happens to me a lot)

I'm just selling up my Mercedes A160 and buying something a little cheaper. In doing so I've seen a 1990 Corrado G60 up for grabs at £1100. It's a left hand drive, but that's what I'm after as I'm looking to move to austria next year some time.

The only things stopping me from jumping on a train to get it are :-

1) The high mileage - It's listed as 190,000 miles

2) The constant supercharger rebuilds

So what I wanted to ask you good people is if the G60 engine is a lump at this mileage, or if like some engines, it's just hitting it's prime ?

Also when it comes to the supercharger, is there any way (easily) to disconnect it for periods of time. I'm going to be doing a fair amount of town driving and would love to just be able to pop the hood and flick a switch before headed out somewhere on a long haul as such. Why do images of Mad Max and his stuck on fake supercharger spring to mind when I say that... anyway, that's the questions..

So if any kind soul can help I'd be much appreciated.

Also if anybody knows a good service centre in Upper Austria (nr. Linz) I'd love to know for future consideration....

Catch_twotwo

Welcome to the forum

A 1990 Rado - 190k miles - thats about what you'd expect for a car of that age doing an average mileage.

All depends on how its been maintained - it could be great, it could be a dog, look for lots of receipts and history

No easy way of disconnecting supercharger but it can be done, would you really want to drive a Corrado with 90 bhp though!!!!!

If you do 10,000 miles a year, you'll go four years between charger rebuilds at £400 a time, thats £2 per week - not exacly expensive

I'm sure members on here would be happy to look at a G60 with / for you if you asked nicely

:D

Yeah I was thinking it's average, but what is average nowadays....

I know my Merc's done 42,000 in 5 years and it seems like the average is dropping. Or maybe that's just an illusion.

Thanks for the comments.... If anybody wants a free lunch then the car's in East Grinstead ;)

If its any consolation, I'm running a 140,000 mile G60 as an everyday car and racking up about 800-1000 miles per week with no problems whatsoever.

Would struggle to go back to a blandmobile

No Expert, but..

There are very few cars out there that will last much beyond 200k, and are generally with bigger engines. 1.8, and sorry if I upset anybody, wont cut. nearing its sell by date.

If your after a left hooker, then my money would be on this kiddy :D

http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/ ... 5&pageid=3

Newer shape than the G60, less milage, more MPG (believe it or not) more power ect

But then again I am of the VR6 fan base :D

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the link to the VR6, I've seen the advert before... It's just about 4 times my budget ;)

Well according to the salesman it's in miles, but the speedo is in KMPH, whish for me seems strange, but I'm not gonna tell him that incase he says "wow £1750 then"

My brother in law bought a car that was a Japanese import and got lucky on that. He bought it as a high mileage and then found it was in Km and not Miles.... maybe i'll get lucky on that.

If the speedo is in KMPH then, yeah, the odo will be in kilometers too.. bonus.. just keep it hush and sound interested :p

unless its been in the country for a while and has been converted to mph already but they havent put stickers on the dash? I didnt think it was legal to have the speedo and odometer in kph in this country? would it pass an MOT like that? its just I know chris vr6 nos has to convert all his jap imports to mph before he gets them SVA'd and road legal...

If the speedo is in KMPH then, yeah, the odo will be in kilometers too.. bonus.. just keep it hush and sound interested :p

Well I hope that's the case....

As if so then it'll only have done 118,000 miles.

If it really has done over 190,000 miles though, that's over 305,000 km and a big number :roll:

unless its been in the country for a while and has been converted to mph already but they havent put stickers on the dash? I didnt think it was legal to have the speedo and odometer in kph in this country? would it pass an MOT like that? its just I know chris vr6 nos has to convert all his jap imports to mph before he gets them SVA'd and road legal...

I'm not sure that's the case with the whole lot. It might just be because the cars he's importing don't show MPH on the speedo at all.

With all engines it is not the number of miles that ages it as much as how it was driven for those miles. ie harsh driving from cold starts and short journeys. but 200k seems a limit.

I spose there is no way of finding out short of getting numbers of previous owners and asking them how it was driven, work carried out ect.

Well it's had 2 previous owners, not sure about how they've driven it though.

All I know is there is a receipt for the charger overhaul from Jabba sports. so it's not been mistreated and ignored it seems.

However just chased the guy up and the charger last had the overhaul 50,000 miles back. so it's overdue for another... That's another £500 right ? and i have to learn how to strip it out to ship it I guess.

For 1100 quid you can't really go wrong, i've seen G60 engines go for £1500 on there own ....just buy it and take it to G werks for a full service and charger rebuild...

For 1100 quid you can't really go wrong, i've seen G60 engines go for £1500 on there own ....just buy it and take it to G werks for a full service and charger rebuild...

Well I've emailed G-werks for a guide price on that.... I guess Corrado on a budget might be too much to hope for :lol:

They are almost bombproff, Mine`s done 412000k`s now and she`s still purring like a kitten. so dont be afraid of it just because it`s gone around the world a couple of times.

They are almost bombproff, Mine`s done 412000k`s now and she`s still purring like a kitten. so dont be afraid of it just because it`s gone around the world a couple of times.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fair play to you mate, well done!

No Expert, but..

There are very few cars out there that will last much beyond 200k, and are generally with bigger engines. 1.8, and sorry if I upset anybody, wont cut. nearing its sell by date.

Bit of a blanket statement there!

The taxi firm my brother worked for had a fleet of old Toyotas (mid-90s, pre-Avensis) with similarly small-capacity engines and I don't think any of them had less than a quarter of a million miles on them! I remember him calling round the house in one that had just ticked over 400K and still running fine.

I've got 2 G60s...

J-Dub's got OVER 250K MILES on her clock (well, under her belt, she's been clocked at some point so the clock doesn't reflect the real milage... :roll: ) on the original engine...

H-YYU has 160K MILES on her clock (accurate!) on the original engine... I've since swapped out this engine and plonked in my 1940cc lump, but there was nothing wrong with the engine which was in there, I just wanted my nutter engine in her! The original engine started first turn every time and suffered through me putting 350miles a week on her for 6 months with only servicing and a set of brake pads needed during that time... 8)

G60 engines are strong as an ox... the only weak point is the supercharger IF it's not serviced and looked after properly... If it IS serviced properly and well looked after, then it'll last and last and last and last and.... (you get the idea!)

I've recently bought a corrado g60 LHD...(the one in my sig)

It had a blown charger (the small belt snapped so the case cracked) but the car still drove. It has factory air con and no sunroof... The body isn't perfect but I paid £300 for it...and it has 260,000km on it.

People are paying well over the odds for Corrados... There are many out there who are not owned by enthusiasts and those are the bargains...

But if that car really has 190k on it...it aint worth what they are asking.

I've got a deal with the guy for £900 cash... so looks like we're a go. I'm hoping to head straight down down to g-werks for the once over (engine service and lader rebuild) So I hope it all goes well... if not then I've spent a pile of cash on nothing.

Wish me luck :cry:

Well I can't head down to g-werks for the works as it will take too long for Saturday opening hours.

I'd rather not drive it about without the lader rebuild but there's nowhere close to home (Southend) or close to the purchase area (East Grinstead) that can do the job....

I love it when a plan falls appart O.o'