Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

Game Over, Insert Coin...

Well, I've known for a while this engine ma have some running problems due to the misfire it has and the previous owner cracking a piston and possibly doing a not-so-professional repair on it (which I didnt' know at the time). I havent had the money recently to put it on a RR to see if it was a fuelling problem instead of a piston/engine problem - I took it to a good motorsport garage I know however who had a good look over it including wet and dry compression tests - only around 15psi down on the offending cylinder, which he thought wasnt enough to warrant the problems.

Sooo....today, going into town for a job interview, the car seemed fine. Normal misfire between around 5-6k when warm, nothing else. When I satarted to sit in traffic though, the car's idle began to hunt, and was nearly stalling at times. When I managed to park up where I was going, looked round the back to see it puffing a bit of black smoke on idle, so gave it a quick rev, and there was more black smoke. Not a huge cloud, but it was definitely there. On the way home it was fine, I drove it with kid gloves, and couldnt notice any smoke from the back, but you can't see much out of the back of these anyway eh?!

So, it looks like bad news for me. Money is tight right now and a new engine wasnt something I was looking forward to getting as I will have to borrow the money for it. You motley lot reckon my engine is gonna give up the ghost soon? As I say it was fine on the way home...

OK, I will try the lambda wiring tomoro, thanks for the help...could black smoke be anythign else at all?

OK, I will try the lambda wiring tomoro, thanks for the help...could black smoke be anythign else at all?

over fuelling , choke stuck , lambda, a bottle of redex in the fuel tank or your cars on fire !!

Valerian, the RS3100 used to be a dream car for me , the mk1 was an iconic car , very rare the rs capri aswell even when they were around

someone could of transplanted a TDi engine in,while you werrnt looking :lol: ..if it was blue smoke id be more worried

It is possible it could be overfueling and under fueling causing theses issues. check for strange noises( or it even turning on) when your fuel pump is priming try it a few times to see if it sounds healthy and watch out for the buzzing sound which means its not long to go.

Lambda is also a possibility.