Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

glass fibre boot installs

Yeah, I've bought all the stuff I need to start my fancy dancy boot install of my rado. I was thinking of a full boot floor mould, then put the sub in the spare wheel recess, and put the little amp on the right side (the 2/3 split side of the seat) on an angle, so I can fit my snowboard in there in the winter time.

But I've looked a little bit at the boot floor, and it looks kinda tricky to make a skin in glass fibre mat. Any experiences?

Oh and two quick questions at the end... I put my new cd player in, but it's so little room behind the dash. Where do you put the wiring? And I get a lot of disturbance when the engine is turned off, and a whining noise when it's on. Plus, it makes a big bang everytime I take it off mute. What's all this? Thx

whining noise

likely feedback from the alternator, I would check all your earths, not sure what any bang after mute is about. Which cd player you got. Also you can by a damper to put in the power supply to stop feed back if needs be.

whining noise

likely feedback from the alternator, I would check all your earths, not sure what any bang after mute is about. Which cd player you got. Also you can by a damper to put in the power supply to stop feed back if needs be.

start your engine, turn up the gain on the amps so you can clearly hear the whin, then try moving the power cables and RCA's listen for any increase or decrease in noise.

Have you ran the RCA leads down the same side as the power? :nono:

It's one of the quickest ways to get interference!

Also, check your earth on your head unit, if it's not very good, you'll get alternator wizz.

Have you ran the RCA leads down the same side as the power? :nono:

It's one of the quickest ways to get interference!

Also, check your earth on your head unit, if it's not very good, you'll get alternator wizz.

thanks, I'll do that tonight (if I can get up of this chair that is :) )

oh, and how do you guys get the cd player all the way in?

my aerial lead turned out to be a piece of wire taped onto the original plug. Better go buy a adapter or something.

I almost got the player all the way in. I removed the entire middle console, glovebox and instrument cluster cover to get enough access, and to earth the player into the back of the middle compartment support. Is that good enough?

Oh, and I just lost about four screws. Better not vacuum my car before I find them ;) And I managed to break a couple of clips on the back side of the heater cover (mine's the old-style one), so if I can't get it on again, I better go buy a new one for big $$$. I hate reassembling things.

To finish everything off, I broke my stereo fuse, and I a) didn't have a spare, and b) couldn't get the old fuse out of the fuse holder, resulting in me c) breaking the fuse holder. Oh luck.

I better go screwhunting soon.

I checked the earth for my amp, and found out it was thick and strong cable, but it was attached to the car body with a paper clip of all things. Great earth? Nooope...

This just wasn't my day.

I tend to bolt the earth cable to the seat belt brackets, they're really good earths, as for the head unit earth, i ran a wire to the body (by the passenger door), just to be sure.

Sorry to hear about the fuse issue, but a good tip for fuse stockpiling is to go to your local scrappy, and nick an entire fusebox worth out of a car! It'll keep you going for ages!(this trick also works for light bulbs too!) 8)

Also, some cars come with fuse removers, just relieve the scrappy of one of those too, it'll prevent anymore fusebox misshaps!

It sounds daft- but have you cut the screw in stud that alpine give you down to size? I had loads of trouble with mine until I cut the first bit of this. They are hell to fit anyway tho.

I had to tie some string to the multi-cd interface and leave it hanging out into the drivers footwell so I could pull it out of the way of the unit going back.

Cheers

hi again,

thanks for advice about the scrappy, but I needed some real stereo fuses or whatever. But I went and bought those, then I broke my fuseholder, so I bought a shiny new one. As I fitted, the thang sparked a little, as I didn't bother to disconnect the minus on the battery (this was kind of road side, I just needed to hear my stereo THEN!), and now it still doesn't work. It seems like it doesn't get any power, but I know it does, since it sparks back in the trunk too. What's a wigga to do? ;) Oh, well, I better sleep on it or whatever.

Ice White Socks, what stud are you talking about? There weren't any studs on the back of my player, just the ISO contact (of course MEGA special and not possible to get an adaptor to, so I had to solder, and I hate to sold :p ), the aerial plug connector is hanging out, and so is some type of multi-contact as well. I finally got the player somewhat flush, after pretty much removing the entire dashboard a couple of times. I think the corrado has a bad solution on the player-mounting, since it's inside its own little "cage" where any extra cables are too thick, preventing the player to sit flush...

anywho... any ideas about the glass fibre?

One love

Ice White Socks, what stud are you talking about?

On my player there was a screw in stud at the back of the player which slotted in through a corresponding hole at the back of the stereo 'cage'. This is to secure it properly and most units have them. The Alpine one needs to be cut down to length otherwise it pushes too far through.

The hole on my C is on a mounting plate coming up from the base. Its possible to route the wires round the back of this plate to help with mounting.

Cheers

hi again,

thanks for advice about the scrappy, but I needed some real stereo fuses or whatever. But I went and bought those, then I broke my fuseholder, so I bought a shiny new one. As I fitted, the thang sparked a little, as I didn't bother to disconnect the minus on the battery (this was kind of road side, I just needed to hear my stereo THEN!), and now it still doesn't work. It seems like it doesn't get any power, but I know it does, since it sparks back in the trunk too. What's a wigga to do? ;) Oh, well, I better sleep on it or whatever.

Ice White Socks, what stud are you talking about? There weren't any studs on the back of my player, just the ISO contact (of course MEGA special and not possible to get an adaptor to, so I had to solder, and I hate to sold :p ), the aerial plug connector is hanging out, and so is some type of multi-contact as well. I finally got the player somewhat flush, after pretty much removing the entire dashboard a couple of times. I think the corrado has a bad solution on the player-mounting, since it's inside its own little "cage" where any extra cables are too thick, preventing the player to sit flush...

anywho... any ideas about the glass fibre?

One love

International Organization for Standardization, um MEGA special....?