Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

VW Transporter flat 4 petrol to TDI conversion

A mate has a 1989 Transporter with a flat 4 petrol engine. He uses it for camping, going to shows and stuff, but also as a works van to carry building materials.

The petrol engine seems to be on its last legs and he wants to replace it. I've tried to persuade him to go for a flat 6 Porsche conversion but he's having none of it :roll:

A 1.9 TDI seems the best idea, for more grunt and economy for reliable daily use.

Can anyone offer any advise, he has up to £1000 to spend.

I have a 1986 transporter with a 1.9L SDI engine taken from a Skoda Felicia... I am verry pleased that I changed my 1.6L D engine(Actualy it was a 4x4 with a 1.9L boxer )... a TDI would be the best choice for a Transporter

Was it a straight forward conversion? Any tips?

I imagine it must be reasonably quick, another mate had a 1.6 TDI and that accelerated pretty well.

No.. I had to do a few modofications and some parts from the old 1.6D engine..like the intake, lower part of the oil pump, oil pan, motor mounts and the exhaust.... (If it is a TDI u have to improvise)

If I have to chose between a 1.6TD and a 1.9D I would definitely chose the second one.

Sorry to go off topic ...but ..I see that you're from Romania,how many raddo's are there in Romania Tristan? there can't be many! I travelled around Romania in 1995

Well... many of them are G60 ...here in my city are 5 or 6.. it's a small city. (200.000 souls :) ) I would be much more but here you can't regiter a car unless it has Euro3 norm.(car's from 2000-2005)