Sign in to follow this  
antonio_b12

Any 1 come across this?

Just had a check under the hood of my mum's car, been getting nag'd about servicing it.

came across this mukkey stuff, any one had the same problem before?

Its a mk3 golf, 1.4, P-reg. has done about 88k.

im thinking of using flushing engine oil, then changing the oil.

what do you think?

(ha look at the size of that TB! :lol: )

DSC00027.jpg

looks like the head gasket is on its way out..although i had the same on my sisters corsa a couple of years ago,so flushed the engine and changed filter and put in new oil and its been fine ever since

Unfortunately that looks like it need more than an oil flush. I think either the oil cooler is leaking, which is on top of the oil filter, or the head gasket is leaking.

Not sure if there is any way of testing the oil cooler short of trying a new one on there, but it will certainly be cheaper than the head gasket.

if its just on the cap then its more than likely just condensation,but by the looks of it,its also in the engine which is normally a sign of head gasket woes

It's emulsified oil, which is what you get when the water mixes with the oil... in case you were wondering :)

yea the water, and oil is stable.

theres no oil leaking, it hasnt had a head-gasket change since its been born, so that could be an idea, but will see if the flush, and oil change will sort it out.

just wanted to make sure that it wasnt a huge problem.

cheers

does she do a lot of short journeys? this is pretty common on cars which never have time to run up to temperature properly as the inside of the engine collects condensation which mixes with the oil causing the emulsion on the cap... Check for the same kinda crud on the dipstick, if it's clear then give it a good long run, making sure you keep an eye on the water temps and water and oil levels periodically, then give it a good service... 8)

If there IS crud on the dipstick, then the odds are the head gasket (or the oil cooler if it's got a water/oil cooler) has gone... :(

spot on Henry, the car is only used for work, which is about 5-6mins away.

there is no crud on the dipstick, althought i found some on the oil breather, which i managed to clean.

it probably needs a hard run, then a good service as you said. :wink:

Take it out for a nice long run, let it warm up fully (at leat 70C on the oil temp) then give it a damned hard thrash.

If that's cleared up the emulsion, give it an oil and filter change and you should be ok.