Sign in to follow this  
cvw

where do i start

hi only had my c for a couple of months and only been driving since 24th june , ha . i have loved the c since i was knee high to a grass hopper . its a 1991 1.8 16v with 143k . the engine is a bit rough and the electrics are problematic i think. as i do not have a great deal(almost none) of auto experience it would be good to know where to start to get the car into fantastic condition . i need to use the car day to dayand unfortunatly the jack dash isn't running in thick and fast. so what would be the best way of doing things bit by bit. cheers

Hi mate.

Where to start?...how long have you got? lol!

Obviously it depends on the state of the car really, Whenever I buy a car I change the oil/air filters, leads, plugs, coolant flush (( using g12+ )) thermostat, temp senders and any hoses that look dodgy, also you could try cleaning the ISV etc if the leads and plugs don't sort out the rough running.......then I'd think about suspension parts (( i.e shocks,springs,bumpstops,top mounts,bushes etc ))

What exactly is your problem with the electrics?

oh.....and welcome to raddo ownership and the forum. :D

I'll second that, new leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm and if they've not been done recently, new spark plugs and timing belt. Pretty much a 'must' for peace of mind when you buy a valver.

what makes you think the electrics are problematic? if you discribe the symptoms I'm sure someone will be able to tell you whats probably the cause.

Hi matey, welcome to C ownership - and a thin wallet, LOL. As said, just post up Qs and you'll get loads of help here.

cheers for the advice . recently had a friend of a friend that had a garage to take a look but there comp wasn't compatible . it has had a new dizzy cap on . it also has a powerflow exhaust is llowered and sits on 5 spoke 17s (don't know what make) the mech at the garage said the immo keeps cutting in and there are wires everywhere under the bonnet it looks a right mess . the rev counter is slightly irratic and on the first run of the day almost stalls at points .the lights are useless sepecially when thereare no street lights . this makes it slightly hairy let me tell you . when i put the cig lighter on everything dims including the dash. will get some photos on soon.