Sign in to follow this  
Graham_E

seriously knackered spark plug

Now im no mechanic but im guessing this could have been the reason for my rough running yesterday. Thoughts as to what caused it appreciated and solution also.

replaced #6 and now idles and revs smoothly funnily enough, but for how long?

vwcorrado NGK bkr5ek been in for bout 4 months

Ronan no it doesnt appeat to be.

could timing be out slightly, im just clutching at straws here...as you may have guessed i havent a clue.

Have you done a compression test on all the cylinders?

Did the plug smell of anything?

Pre-det can fuck a spark plug, I've heard of parts of electrodes to even melt off because of the intense heat caused by pinking

That does look like a victim of pinking. It may be worthwhile checking the spray pattern of that injector as that may be the route of the problem if it is just localised to one cylinder.

check cylinder no1,as its common on the vr6,no1 and 6 go first,that plug looks exactly like the one i took out of mine..nothing to do with pinking,thats oil build up!!

its hard to hold of them but try and get bosh quad electrodes i aint got the part no at the mo . il let you know. but it looks like to much oil is gettin in to your pots.

its hard to hold of them but try and get bosh quad electrodes i aint got the part no at the mo

Wrong plug for a VR6!! Plug shown is correct type,

Thoughts as to what caused it appreciated and solution

It looks like No.6 has busted a piston ring. Do a compression test to confirm. Bad news :( unfortunately - common VR6 design problem with No.1 & 6 cylinders on higher mileage VR6 engines.

dis agree. sorry i have had twin electrode in mine several times, and they dont last long . the bosh quad are far better quality. £48 quid tho.

It looks like No.6 has busted a piston ring. Do a compression test to confirm. Bad news :( unfortunately - common VR6 design problem with No.1 & 6 cylinders on higher mileage VR6 engines.

Well it would explain his tractor-like idle... :lol: