Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

steering shift??

when i accelerate in the g60 on certain roads it feels as though the front wheels shift over to the right and back to the left when i let off the gas causing the car to go diagnally right and then back to going straight. its very weird and is really annoying could it be the rack bushes or the rack itself? apart from these the steering and suspension is brand new. :roll:

Torque steer??

Have you only just noticed this happening or had the power upgraded recently (chip and pulley) or new tyres??

Just wondering if it's a new problem or not - still maybe just torque steer but amplified by a knackered mount or bush as you say...

Do you consistently get this shift, no matter what the road surface is like?

Checked your tyre pressures recently??

yup its like torque steer but times 10 the car has always done it tried new tyres as well and checked pressures, wondered if it maybe cv joints.

i think i have the same prob as u mate in myVR6. when i let off the gas my steering wheel twitches from straight ahead to pulling left then when i re-apply the gas it pulls straight again.i can only describe a sort of play in the steering like the steering UJ joint being worn? dnt know if every corrado does this but when engine is off, if i shake the steering wheel side to side maybe 5 or so inch from left to centre n right to centre quickly, there feels like play and a near un-noticable tap feeling coming thru the steering...................??never been able to get a garage to give a diagnosis.

Could also be the steering column ... does the pattern of play change if you adjust the tilt mechanism? They seem to be a(nother) weak point at high miles...

check your engine mounts... could be a combination of several mounts having let go letting the engine throw itself around in the engine bay...

also check your wishbone and steering rack bushes and top mounts.... if they're shot, they could cause this kind of sensation... :|

after much thought, im going to get 2 of everything. wishbones with bushes, ball joint, track rod ends and strut top mounting kits. atleast then il jst be left with steering rack and its associated joints.

check your engine mounts... could be a combination of several mounts having let go letting the engine throw itself around in the engine bay...

also check your wishbone and steering rack bushes and top mounts.... if they're shot, they could cause this kind of sensation... :|

I´m with Henny on this one!

I was having the same issues on my G60.

I had all engine mounts replaced and a full whell alignment.

The car runs very good now! :)

RE engine mounts, could this be the cause of my sterring snatchin left when coming off the gas and pulling straight again when i acelerate. Would the amount the engine would move with knackered mounts affect the steering, cos the gearbox will move too thus altering the drive shafts????

PS, i have recently noticed that my near side tire has been rubbin at some point on the plastic inner wing as tho the wheels has moved towards the front of the car slightly.... this car really has got me baffled and there aint many garages that can get these babies setup or fixed proper.

hi again ppl, i have jst fitted 2 wishbones with bushes, 2 ball joints and 2 track rod ends, 2 front tyres and had them balanced and laser tracked. my steering feels nice and responsive and a bit tighter but.........................i can still feel a tiny bit of play in the steering and the steering wheel wobbles slightly at any speed, more noticable the faster u go. does this mean i have to replace the steering rack and/or the steering drive shaft the passes thru the firewall?????

when i accelerate in the g60 on certain roads it feels as though the front wheels shift over to the right and back to the left when i let off the gas causing the car to go diagnally right and then back to going straight. its very weird and is really annoying could it be the rack bushes or the rack itself? apart from these the steering and suspension is brand new. :roll:

Prolly not your problem, but mine did exactly this when I changed the wishbones. The front pivot bolt wasnt done up tight, just felt tight cuz the thread had gone rusty, and it was letting the wishbone move!