Sign in to follow this  
Leavon

ZW1 tyre advice please...

I've just taken the plunge and ordered some ZW1's, was gonna wait till next year but fate has forced my hand, what a pity :twisted:

I've ordered them with 215/40 profile tyres, I don't like the stretched look and wanted as much rubber as possible on em. But I'm now concerned about clearance, I ran the same size with my cup 3's with no probs but they were a 7.5 inch rim and these are an 8, what are peoples experiences with this wheel?

I've got 215/40's on my ZedDubya's.

Pic attached of ride-height and measurement - very little rubbing at all. Only ever rubs with 3 or 4 people on quite bad bumps. Doesn't bother me as there's usually only 1 or 2 in the car. Handy having the coilovers though as you can adjust to suit.

That's good news Tom, thanks. It was actually yours (and Kev's when he had them) car that turned me on to the ZW's in the first place. You know what they say about imitation....

I've pretty much treated the car as a 2 seater since I got it lowered so rubbing when fully laden isn't gonna be an issue.

Any advice for keeping the rims clean, any corrosion issues?

I'm probably the worst person to ask about looking after the rims! :$

I've sort of kerbed one of the back ones a little - think I clipped the tapered curb when reversing. Also I've noticed some white 'crackling' on the face around some of the bolts (and centre caps but I'm binning those for some new ones shortly).

Even with the slightly larger tyres, there is just about no rim protection on offer! Be careful :)

Thanks for the nice comment btw :)

I think I'm resigned to them getting kerbed at some time or another, unless they're kept for show, I think it's inevitable.

I'd like to get some VW centre caps for them but they seem to be stupidly expensive, probably get nicked as well.

I'm just really looking forward to seeing them on the car, it's weird but I was never into split rim wheels at all but these wheels converted me, maybe I've just got a porsche rim fetish :oops:

lol ... I'm the same - it's not a show car and they're not show wheels so they're going to get dirty and buggered! (not in that sense!)

Why not get some porker centre caps? I fancy them on mine because the yellow/red should look quite good with the purpley blue.

I'm probably the worst person to ask about looking after the rims! :$

I've sort of kerbed one of the back ones a little - think I clipped the tapered curb when reversing. Also I've noticed some white 'crackling' on the face around some of the bolts (and centre caps but I'm binning those for some new ones shortly).

Even with the slightly larger tyres, there is just about no rim protection on offer! Be careful :)

Thanks for the nice comment btw :)

Warm soapy water and they will still corrode. Thats split rims for you, well laquered aluminium anyway. Best tip is order with stainless dishes, wish i had but didn't know it was an option at the time.

Aren't porker caps even more expensive?

Just looked on Ebay, £100 for Porker caps?!! For 4 bits of plastic? Can't see how they can justify it. Would look sweet though....

I wasn't made aware that there was a rim option either Lee, bit weird that, not that I would have known which was the better option. Is it worth me changing my order?

Would normal polishing wax offer any protection?

Aren't porker caps even more expensive?

Just looked on Ebay, £100 for Porker caps?!! For 4 bits of plastic? Can't see how they can justify it. Would look sweet though....

I wasn't made aware that there was a rim option either Lee, bit weird that, not that I would have known which was the better option. Is it worth me changing my order?

Would normal polishing wax offer any protection?

if you can change your order DO IT. They will corrode around the bolt within 12months. You'll be saving the cost of a re-polish and laquer even tho' they'll cost more to start with. Wax offers no protection as its water getting under the laquer around the bolts.

what offset did you get Leavon?

Mine arent z-dubs, but they are 17x8 RH's so sort of applicable. I've got 205/40's on and it only rubs regularly on the front drivers side which seems to be a touch lower for some reason, then its only if i hit a large bump a bit fast.

My ZW1's (with 205 wide tyres) rub when i'm doing tight turns, but my suspension is lowered on coilovers a few cm's also!

Good choice in wheel, i think they look really on the corrado!

I didn't actually check the offset :oops: , the guy at Styledynamix asked if they were for a C VR6 (when I said I wanted 5X100) and I kinda trusted his expertise, I'm assuming they'll be ET60 and the adaptors will drop it to ET35.

If it's occasional rubbing then I can live with that.

I agree James, they look really classy.

I'm gonna switch to coilovers next year, do they have more clearance than a normal spring/damper set up?

I didn't actually check the offset Embarassed , the guy at Styledynamix asked if they were for a C VR6 (when I said I wanted 5X100) and I kinda trusted his expertise, I'm assuming they'll be ET60 and the adaptors will drop it to ET35.

You really want ET40 for a VR6 I think so 20mm adapters...

Balls, I was reading Kev's original post about the wheels and he said he was running ET35. I just searched a bit harder and saw that he ended up using 20mm adaptors.

Thanks for all this guys, I'll check with Styledynamix tomorrow what I've actually ordered(!).

I think BBS rims look more OE, my dream wheel would be LM's but $$$!

The ZW1's are perfect for me at the mo.

I've got 205's on mine. Which are Gareths (OSV) old wheels. Ive had them for a while now and ive managed to keep them spotless. I do wash the car everyday tho :oops: and they are still in great condition. I would tho go for SS ones if i had the option. Next year maybe. I'd recomend 205's tho on the tyre choice.

Every day?!! Do you run a car washing business? That is some dedication.

I think I'm gonna run with 215's, a couple of people seem to be running them without any probs and I had 215 on my previous wheels , I think I'll risk it.

This is gonna be a nervous couple of weeks...

The more I see them on other peoples cars, the more I know I've made the right choice, your car looks great Paul. How low is it and on what?

Yup, everyday and no i dont own a car wash business, but i wish i did sometimes. Im running Spax RSX coilovers at the momment however the picture in my sig has been chopped slightly. :wink:

Balls, I was reading Kev's original post about the wheels and he said he was running ET35. I just searched a bit harder and saw that he ended up using 20mm adaptors.

Yeah I started off with ET35 using the supplied 25mm plates and 215/40 rubber but suffered rubbing on the rear arches over bumps.

I then spoke to RH and got the 20mm adapter plates instead (ET40) which completely removed all rubbing issues. It drove better on ET40 aswell, less tramlining.

I later changed to 205/40 and found the overall width to be almost identical to 215/40, so I'd go 205 mate.

Agreed on Lee's Stainless dish recommendation. It's also an option that came up after VR6 and I bought ours too, typical! I warn you though....the stainless dishes are approx twice the weight of the alloy ones and Alloy plated ZW1s are about 24lbs to start with, which is heavy by modern 17" casting standards.

The reason the you get 'spider legs' around the bolts so quickly is because of the cheap arse japanese dishes RH use. They buy in these ready laquered plates and bolt them to the wheel, crushing the laquer in the process and therefore allowing water to get underneath. Look at a factory BBS RS301 and the plate (better quality to begin with) is attached and THEN laquered (on top of the bolts too) for a total seal. They take considerably longer to scab than the Zeds.

They're a stunning rim, but they're too high on the maintanence for my liking, hence sticking some plainer rims on.

Be prepared for LOADS of looks with the ZW1s, they attract a lot of attention :-)

Good luck......

P.S I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying them, just sharing my experiences.

Thanks Kev, that's really informative. I rang Styledynamix this morning and and was told that there wasn't a stainless rim option and that there wasn't a 20mm adapter plate?!? I'm rapidly losing confidence in them tbh.

How much did it cost to buy the adapters from RH?

I'm a bit torn now, try and pursue the Satinless rim and have extra weight on an already heavy wheel, or live with the degradation of the alloy rim?

Is it possible to upgrade the rim at a later date, does anyone make a higher quality dish that would fit the wheel?

Sorry one more question, have you got a contact number for RH?

Thanks.

Hi mate,

Styledynamix need to update their RH inventory then because both ARE available mate. For better advice, help and people that know the products they sell, speak to John at http://www.dtmotorsport.co.uk

The 20mm adapters are £80 through dtmotorsport. They're an official and approved RH importer/reseller.

The stainless plates added a little over £100 to the cost of a set of 4 ZWs. IIRC, last year, alloy ZWs (8x17 ET 60 + fitting kit) £760 and the Stainless ones were £900.

Simone at RH used to be really helpful, but now she just directs you to Dtmotorsport instead, so don't bother speaking to them direct....they're a typical german company mate.

I'd say get the stainless ones from DT, cancel your Styled' order.

HTH

K

It might just be that SD simply don't know these parts exist...... like I say, RH are a typical german company and not the easiest to get information or parts from....they're on leave half the year and NOTHING leaves the warehouse without the director's prior approval.....anal is an understatement.

I'm gonna try Styledynamix one more time tomorrow and see what they say, if they're still coming back negative then I'll cancel and go through DT, I did try calling them yesterday but they weren't anwering the phone. I really wonder about customer service these days.

Thanks once again for all the advice folks, this has been really useful.