Sign in to follow this  
The Leningrad Cowboy

Plates on Piccies

Just a general question.

Apart from somehow linking your registration plate with some sort of illegal activity (eg speeding), why do people get worried about their plates being shown in pictures on the internet? Surely anyone can see the car on the road anyway, so what's the issue? I feel like I must be missing something!

I suppose it's to reduce the chance of cloning. I mean, if you have, say, a red Corrado and you want a cloned plate that will at least come through the Old Bill's check as a red Corrado, what better place to come than THE Corrado Forum. F*** BVV would do nicely! The chances of getting stopped are reduced if the 'plate matches the car it's on at least.

It's true that you could see the same car in traffic, but how many Corrados do you see around? You may have to wait a while if you're looking to clone a rare-ish car.

That's my guess anyway, and it's what I'd do if I was trying to avoid a congestion charge :)

I think it is more likely that someone will want to clone a car that is more mainstream. Cloning usually takes place when the criminal fraternity steals a car for illegal purposes and that usually isn't a rado. Although I personally think a rado is a good choice if you are looking to outrun the police on a twist piece of road :lol:

I don't worry myself, if it gets cloned i'll just have to argue the case afterwards.

Cloning?

Id like to see someone try :lol:

.......Jeremy I'm watching you, dont get any ideas about a plate change and some gatso camera trickery! 8)

I've posted up pics of small polo meets before and some peopl ehave moaned because I never blanked the plates out. If these people dont like their plates n pics on the net, then dont take their cars where they know people will have digi cameras! Or at least put a show plate on..

Seems silly to me.

Very good question, always wondered that.

I never blank out my plate but I didn't think of the whole cloning issue...

my cars already been cloned at the other end of the country and its Legal... only diff is the wheels and 1 digit on the plate,, scary ehh

bigg where u gone :lol:

It's so unscrupulous parking companies can't send off for your address to the DVLA and land a £170 bill on your doormat :)

Thing is, if you don't believe in the Daily Mail (or Richard and Judy), it doesn't happen to you!

I know what you mean, mate, but I'm so annoyed with stuff like this that I'm pretty much willing to take it head on these days.

i never blank my plate, i had a friend once who wouldnt put a for sale sign in his car as he thought it made his car more likely to be stolen?? i didnt get it tbh

I allways assumed this was an insurance thing? ie not stating your mods = not wanting anyone that matters seing what you hav'nt disclosed ????

I allways assumed this was an insurance thing? ie not stating your mods = not wanting anyone that matters seing what you hav'nt disclosed ????

Ahhh, OK Nick, that's another twist on the telling a speeding story next to your car's reg photo. Good point, having no mods, I didn't think of that.

Mind you, how many insurance companies read the internet forums!

(By the way, did I mention that I have no mods?)

I normally blank the reg plates on my cars in photos... My thinking is that I detail the mods I've done on here and just how much cash I've put into my cars, and that it's relatively easy to get someones registered address for a number plate and then go and nick the car if they know your number plate... it's probably paranoia, but that kinda sums me up with my cars at times... :|

I think in most cases where people blank their plates/want them blanking in photos (even if the people don't admit it) it's got something to do with a paranoia that someone's going to trace their plate or clone their car numberplate so that they can dodge the congestion charges or get away with speeding or driving with no insurance/tax... Think about it, order a set of plates off a website in Ireland, stick 'em on your car and you're free to do what speed you like or drive around London in your similar coloured car knowing that you're untracable due to it being someone elses numberplate you're displaying... :|

Still here Furkz.

Our cars are 1 digit and 2 days out. They almost look the same too. (Although Furki's looks much better) Spooky!

my cars already been cloned at the other end of the country and its Legal... only diff is the wheels and 1 digit on the plate,, scary ehh

bigg where u gone :lol:

So what's his reg?

And what is yours?

mines J491

Biggrims J492