Sign in to follow this  
timg60

Tim's G60 - Finally started on her again...

Thats the biggest turbo i have ever sen man and coloured red too, suits the paintwork nicely.

My 285 cam was not lumpy at all with a stage 4, 68mm, big valve head, just carried on pulling on and on upto the limiter.

Thats the biggest turbo i have ever sen man and coloured red too, suits the paintwork nicely.

My 285 cam was not lumpy at all with a stage 4, 68mm, big valve head, just carried on pulling on and on upto the limiter.

Even though there is loads of room in a 60's bay I just couldnt make it fit :grin:

The 285 and vernier has made no diff to the performance but she does pull from 3k much better. She is much better after being set up and hardly lumpy at all. I think my issues are to a fooked blue temp sensor, Have put a 2nd hand one in and it made a huge diff to the idle. Just need to get a new one in.

But she is all good and thats the main thing :clap: :clap:

Even though there is loads of room in a 60's bay I just couldnt make it fit :grin:

The 285 and vernier has made no diff to the performance but she does pull from 3k much better. She is much better after being set up and hardly lumpy at all. I think my issues are to a fooked blue temp sensor, Have put a 2nd hand one in and it made a huge diff to the idle. Just need to get a new one in.

But she is all good and thats the main thing :clap: :clap:

did you get a print out?

the change in cam didn't change the power curve at all ? :scratch:

what cam did you have in there prior,stock?

ta.

I have a new printout . Prior to the cam she was 201.8 bhp and 197 lb/ft and after 202.3 bhp and 198 lb/ft.

TBH she has done 174 tho miles and it was hot and running standard fuel. I think the last time I had premium in. Will have to drag out the 2 graphs and compare them.

will have to go up on a freezing cold winter day and see what she does. :grin: :lol:

I have a new printout . Prior to the cam she was 201.8 bhp and 197 lb/ft and after 202.3 bhp and 198 lb/ft.

TBH she has done 174 tho miles and it was hot and running standard fuel. I think the last time I had premium in. Will have to drag out the 2 graphs and compare them.

will have to go up on a freezing cold winter day and see what she does. :grin: :lol:

did the max torque/power points occur at the same rpm ?

:ubergeek:

did the max torque/power points occur at the same rpm ?

:ubergeek:

I cant remember of the top of my head. Will have a look tommorow and post up the 2 graphs.

She feels alot quicker in my mind from 3k-5k but it could just be because i drive like an old man and also have had to run her in for the last 2 weeks :?

Here are the 2 graphs for the rr . The first is before the 285 cam the other is after. About a year inbetween runs and the second was with a freshly fixed charger. Other than the cam both setups exactly the same.

hmm..

the curve looked better b4 tbh.

you seem to have lost a fair bit of low end power without any real gain at the top end..

The curve was alot broader b4.

isn't 285 a bit extreme for a g60 duration wise ?

How does it feel to drive mate ?

TBH sluggish from 0 - 3000rmp then it kicks in and pulls far better than before.

HAve you opened the graphs to compare them as the lines start at diff places on both . I really dont know what I am looking for though as I am a novice at this stuff :help:

TBH sluggish from 0 - 3000rmp then it kicks in and pulls far better than before.

HAve you opened the graphs to compare them as the lines start at diff places on both . I really dont know what I am looking for though as I am a novice at this stuff :help:

The reason it feels sluggish low till 3000 rpm is because you have taken a hell of a hit on your torque.

Look at the blue line on the top graph how it is higher over a larger band of rpm especially lower down.

Ok the rpm axis does start a little earlier on the bottom graph but not much.

A g60 is all about low down punch in my opinion.

I love the way mine launches,I wouldn't give that up for the world,but if this suits your driving style then cool. You haven't gained much at the top so i can't see that its worth it though?!?

Why did you choose this cam over some of the more popular g60 cams?

Sorry if I seem over critical I appreciate you posting your graph up 4 people to look at.

Always nice to see peoples tuning efforts.

:salute:

TBH i was offered it 2nd hand and thought why not give it a go. Still have the option to change back to the original if I want to.

I am a lazy driver and very rarly push her anyway unless in the mood. :grin: And she does really pull well if you keep her near the red :norty:

Still unsure what to do. Think I really need to get a P&P head to see some proper gains. But as I said before I am new to all this so its a bit trial and error. :help:

I know exactly what he means with how it feels between 3-5k, all of a sudden it just comes on cam and changes character nicely although i am comapring it with a big valve head as well, tbh i think the cam may be a little extreme, maybe suit a big valve head better to compensate for more flow from the cam.

dirtyboy, i would not give up my mid to high end power up for the world, i prefer the exciting high end power against the lazy low end boring pull then nothing after, once you start tuning the engine with your plans and keep getting more power and so on im sure you will come round to my way of thinking.

I know exactly what he means with how it feels between 3-5k, all of a sudden it just comes on cam and changes character nicely although i am comapring it with a big valve head as well, tbh i think the cam may be a little extreme, maybe suit a big valve head better to compensate for more flow from the cam.

dirtyboy, i would not give up my mid to high end power up for the world, i prefer the exciting high end power against the lazy low end boring pull then nothing after, once you start tuning the engine with your plans and keep getting more power and so on im sure you will come round to my way of thinking.

:D

hmm dunno mate..

we'll see.

:)

I think thats what I am trying to say junkie. I very rarley launch her away in first ( have already done in one gearbox :shrug: ) But she seems so much better when chucking her around lanes going up and down between 3rd-4th & 5th. I love the power about 3.5k. The G was always good here but it really does seem to throw you back more than before. :nuts:

I think thats what I am trying to say junkie. I very rarley launch her away in first ( have already done in one gearbox :shrug: ) But she seems so much better when chucking her around lanes going up and down between 3rd-4th & 5th. I love the power about 3.5k. The G was always good here but it really does seem to throw you back more than before. :nuts:

each to their own,if this suits your driving style and your happy then more power to you.

:)

I personally think you should have gotten something a bit milder that isn't going to bleed moost of your boost off down your exhaust pipe. :grin:

So long as your happy dude thats all that matters and i know i would be, just get a big valve head on with some ford grey motorsport injectors and see how it feels then on the lanes, it then goes from 3.5k - the redline, just keeps on going and going literally with approx another 20bhp.

Graphs are great to compare how the mods are working and how much difference they are making but sometimes you need to take a step back and compare things with the feel of it or the grin factor it gives you...

Welll ive been all quite here at the mo. But am still trying to get her sorted.

Have in the last couple of weeks.

New Powerflow exhaust. ( i know but they are local and a good price. and tbh they did a good job.)

Fitted a moonroof from a passat.

Recon rear calipers.

Front struts.

Rear bushes.

And finally got a new lambda probe put on which has cured all my running problems.

And have fallen back in love with her again :clap:

Some piccies.

Looking good chap, how easy was the moonroof to fit? ive been toying with the idea of fitting one to mine

Ive had it out so many times that I have it down to about an hour and a half. The hardest thing was trying to get the roof to sit as flush as possible. They are a slightly diffrent shape to the c ones so its a bit of a comprimise. Slightly low at the corners and slightly high in the middle but we are only talking a couple of mm's. I used some window packers to bring the front down and some longer bolts. Followed by a hosepipe test for leaks. :grin:

Well started work on her again. My birthday in 4 weeks and the wife has said she will Tax her for me if I get her all ready.......

Dont need anymore encouragemant than that :clap: I love my wifey and my car

So I wont give you any photos as she was this morning as she has sat in a barn for 6 months and was a little grubby to say the least :( Today I have.

Taken the old m3 style rears out that had a cracked unit.

Made a full set from the 2nd hand ones I had. Masked them off and sprayed the crappy silver black.

Fixed the passanger door handle, And whilst I was there prepped both of the handles and painted them black.

All these are in the greenhouse being baked as we speak before c coat of laquer tommorow.

Taken the weehls off one side of the car and scrubbed the arches out then loosened off the coilies. Then repainted the calipers red. Cleaned both wheels. :clap: God they have suffered over the winter :bad-words:

Stripped out all the old ice to fit new cables and sub and all new speakers.

Oh and take the drivers seat to get the bolster fixed and all the leather restored....

So good start. Will get some piccies up soon. Now its time to get cleaned up and go for a well earned pint or 2 before round 2 :clap:

she has sat in a barn for 6 months

Your getting as bad as me :lol:

Sounds like progress m8, catch up with u at some point to see it :D

Will need to. Sorry did not get back to your pm. I have changed my number will pm you the new one when sue gets home as I havnt got a clue what it is...

As bad as you. I wish. Unfortunally mine has just sat and rotted for 6 months. There is loads more little patches starting to appear and the paint is even more shocking.

Hows the G60 coming on? Might have a newly rebuilt charger up for sale soon. Am toying with turbo ideas....

Unfortunally mine has just sat and rotted for 6 months. There is loads more little patches starting to appear and the paint is even more shocking.

I have a man for that, legend at the old paintski :notworthy: , think we spoke about gettin him to look at ures before - let me know if/when you want a dose of colour :)

Hows the G60 coming on? Might have a newly rebuilt charger up for sale soon.

Sourced a few lumps on ere, just waiting for details and than il go and get one, [Charger] 1st dibs, or let me know if you see one :wink:

Need some detailed pics of a G60 engine bay :wink: :wink: and need to source a book or alike on the details of the engine & assoc equip (Haynes dont seem to cover it)

Once i get a lump home its going to be back to bits for a full rebuild, port & polish etc - il have to put off having fairy soft hands for a bit longer :) :)

PM me your number, im back round cornwall more now due to work so we'll catch up ~ got a date with the welsh boyo too at some point