Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

next 911 turbo to use 'variable turbine geometry'

apparently this is a bit like variable valve timing, only it adjusts the blades on the turbine and gives the same effect as having a twin turbo setup. its not new technology, but its new to petrol based cars.

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000257069829/

was going to say I'm sure VW's have this already, but the article refers to it, TDI's have had this for a while, didn't know it wasn't being used on petrols yet though, helps with the removal of turbo lag.

yeah, i doubt its going to hike the power up to something insane, but its an interesting bit of technology, and reducing lag is always a good thing!

I think diesel trucks have had these for a while too.

yeah, i doubt its going to hike the power up to something insane, but its an interesting bit of technology, and reducing lag is always a good thing!

I guess it probably could be used to hike the power up, as you could use a bigger badder turbo without any of the usually-associated downfalls :)

possibly, i suppose they could get away with a huge blower with very little spool up time using a VTG, but my guess is they'll just make a car with insane torque all through the rev range.

now, a twin VTG turbo would be fun...

Yep, I agree. If they put one out with a huge driveable turbo on it with the potential for massive power, they'll kill off all their own aftermarket tuners!