Sign in to follow this  
.Steve

ello, new kid

just thought id say hi

lookin to buy a corrado, either vr6 or g60, still not made mind up yet but dont worry i wont ask the differences :-P

have a s1 106 rallye at the mo, another enthusiasts car, and sooo much fun, hopefully will be able to keep it. just need a more refined (only slightly tho!) car, and one thats a bit more reliable (only slightly again ive heard :) )

rallye isnt exacly for day to day stuff, also do a fair bit of motorway between reading and bristol so lookin for heated leather. rather than stripped vibrations :roll:

here she is anyway

8d816d7f.jpg

fc05d3dd.jpg

great site aswell, very informative!

steve

Welcome to the site mate, I ALWAYS considered getting one of them as a first car, really cool car, and I suppose they're lots of fun!

But the Corrado get there first lol!

You'll get tons of help from this mate, good luck with finding your first Rado, you won't regret it!

aye loadsa fun.

really in 2 minds at the mo, could spend a bit of money on the rallye, 16v it and get a sheddy run around, but its a good low mileage example and pretty much standard (stripped and grp n exhaust) so dont wanna molest it to much. and really dont wanna sell it!

just want something a bit more user friendly, but fun and different again, might end up goin for the 16v if the g60/vr6 turns out to costly repair wise. how are the 16v's reliability wise?

hmm choices choices

Well, the engine reliability on mine is very good, the only problem it's had in 4.5 years is the one it's got now, and I know it's something simple, but I'm not any good with engines etc, and I'm a but skint to take it to a garage lol.

Good idea with the Rallye there, as the power-weight ratio must be very good.

Hi and welcome.

Either the G60, VR6 and to some extent the 16v can be costly to both repair and run.

The newest corrado will be over 10 years old now and as you are mostly looking at motorway miles then a 16v could be a possibility.

You need to look at getting a charger rebuild around every 50k or so to keep them in good condition and thats going to set you back about £300ish a pop.

VR's are a bit less maintenance and some (Forum Admin Andi's) are still on there original set of timing chains with over 200k on the clock although this is probably not recommended.

Have a look at the buying guide, try to get a drive of a few to see what you like (VR/G60 loads of torque and lazy, 16v goes well when you keep it above 4k)

16v does share same power plant as earlier golf gti's so bits are a touch cheaper and more available than spares for a VR or G60 from a scrappy.

yup, my rallye is about 800kgs, prob a bit less. simple engine transplant and basic mods can see 125bhpish out of a 1.6 16v. fun as it would be! not sure if its what im after at the mo.

i spose with all older perfromance cars you gotto be prepared to pay a bit to keep them goin. just assumed id get a bit of vw reliability :)

would be nice having a bit of torque aswell, the little rallye units dont get goin until 5k :D

cheers for the help

Welcome to the forum chap!

Nice lil 106 you got there :) My sis has one of the basic 1.1 models, and whilst it's a but tinny, they're fun to chuck about!