Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Will it make a difference?

Ok, i saw a "check list" to do on the G60 engine, by using a multimeter. It goes through each sensor and tells you what the readings should be, or not if the case may be, when you've used the multimeter. Now ive just done a few of them on the list and the reads arent within the parameters of what the check list says. Including checking the voltage across the battery. It only read 12.3v when youve switched all of the electrics on (headlights, blower etc) and not staying above the 13 and odd mark. Dose this mean my alternator isnt working right. The battery in the car was replaced within the last 4 months.

So back to the sensor readings, is the fact that ive had a chip with a 68mm pulley fitted, therefore requiring the CO adjusting effect the readings?

One last thing. Just so someone can get me straight of the exact date- what is the last reg date of car where you can remove the cat? im thinking of getting a de-catted performance exhaust, as mine isnt far from needing replacing.

Cheers Guys :)

Yeah - that is a bit low and the problem with G60's are that is the voltage at the fuel rail drops below 12 then the ECU will run the engine rich...

Check the brush pack on the alternator - black bocsh thing on the side held on by 2 screws... the brushes should be at least 1cm I think so may need changing - £10 from an autoelectrician...

I think it's a little unreasonable, thinking the alternator can drive all the lights and heaters and stuff by itself at idle.. I mean, the headlights are 10 amps, screen heaters are another 10 amps, blower I dunno how much ... What's the alternator on a G60 rated at?

Might be better to test the voltage at the battery when there's no load too, to give you a better idea of whether the alternator is actually working at all ..

True, with all my accesories going (full lights, 3rd fan speed, stereo, interior fan etc etc) the voltage drops from 13.8-14 to 12.5V. That's with an Optima yellow top battery rated at 55AH. Prior to that, with a normal (and new) lead plate battery rated at 75AH, the voltage used to drop to 11v under the same conditions!

At £180+VAT each normally, I wouldn't bother with a Yellow top, but being as I got mine for a third of that, it's probably the best thing I've ever done battery wise.

I wouldn't bother with a Yellow top, but being as I got mine for a third of that

!!! - I'll know where to go when I need a new one then!

ha ha make that 2. Yeah i also took a reading with no electrics on and it read 13. something cant remember what exactly. But the temp sensor read 800 and odd ohms too when the check list says 200-300, anyone tested theirs?

didnt check. When im driving around and car is at normal temperature. the water never seems to go over 70 anyway, not sure if thats a proper reading or the bash is not working properly

I always had voltage issues in my G60 since i bought it.

I had various batteries ( Bosch Silver 66Ah at the moment ) and new voltage regulators.

The problem remains.

So i believe i might have alternator issues ( probably one or more fried semi-conductor ).

Though i am not very worried, the car runs great anyway.

Yeah same here, mine seems to run fine. Saying that i do complain about the lag of power in my G60 esp low down in the rev ranges. Could a lack of power from the battery mean lower performance, a G60 needs a lot of power doesnt it? or am i wrong? Im running an sns chip with 68mm pulley, new battery, not sure which. just standard over rest of engine