Sign in to follow this  
Valerian

It seems to never end!!!

Just went out to start the C as it hasn't been used since Sunday, turned the key.....nothing.....realised it was in gear....took it out of gear......went to start again.....nothing.....lights go dim.....battery i thought......put battery on charge.....nope battery isn't flat at all.....looks like it might be the starter jammed.

Given up as it's dark and raining...........pffffft

Glad it's not my daily driver otherwise i'de be cursing it to high heaven :x

All i've done since i got it is fix things :mad:

Yep ignition switches are always incredibly unreliable on older VW's.

Try pulling the plug off the back of the ignition barrel and joining the red/black and red wires together with something. If the car cranks you know its the switch.

Jay

i have the ignition swith under suspicion.....lately it's been a bit iffy.

Can't be much else left to break on it now....lol....i've just about replaced all the usual things that do break.

Gutted mate, I reckon it;s the Devon air.

We gotta meet up sometime, I'll make the trip up to South Molton one day next week.

Gutted mate, I reckon it;s the Devon air.

We gotta meet up sometime, I'll make the trip up to South Molton one day next week.

I'm off work all weekend and Monday and Tuesday......plan to have a look at her tomoz to see what the prob is.

I was just about to sort out the rust problem with some replacement panels as well :(

Guess i'll get her sorted sooner or later....if i get her running i'll nip out to Ho to see you if yer like.

Just been out during a break in the rain and my problem does seem to be the ignition switch.

Any one have any idea a new one costs from VAG?

Valerian- I thought I was going to need an ignition switch recently & was quoted about £20 from Mann Egerton, Exeter (VW dealers), which I thought was pretty fair.

Problem on mine turned out to be the immobilizer transponder which was under the steering column shroud, since fixed.

I would like to meet up with you & Ronan sometime (when the weather is warmer), we could kick tyres & have a bitch about how much cash we've spent on our raddos & maybe have a few shandies! :drinking:

we could kick tyres & have a bitch about how much cash we've spent on our raddos & maybe have a few shandies! :drinking:

Shandies eh? And they say southerners are fairies :lol:

Valerian- I thought I was going to need an ignition switch recently & was quoted about £20 from Mann Egerton, Exeter (VW dealers), which I thought was pretty fair.

Problem on mine turned out to be the immobilizer transponder which was under the steering column shroud, since fixed.

I would like to meet up with you & Ronan sometime (when the weather is warmer), we could kick tyres & have a bitch about how much cash we've spent on our raddos & maybe have a few shandies! :drinking:

My immobiliser has been disconnected so i doubt it's that.

Think i'll order a VAG switch as it only costs a few quid more than the GSF one.

We'll organise a meet in the new year or sooner if we ever get a mini heatwave....lol.....or just let me know when you are up this way and i'll try and meet up with you.

Yeah mate sure pop down sometime if you get it running. And I don't drink Cider, I'm not a genuine Devonian, I apologise! lol.

Mate if you need to order anything from VW ask to speak to Shane at Silver Street VW - 01271 312121. He's the parts manager, and tell him Prance Motor Services sent you, that should get you a bit of a discount hopefully!

Yeah mate sure pop down sometime if you get it running. And I don't drink Cider, I'm not a genuine Devonian, I apologise! lol.

Mate if you need to order anything from VW ask to speak to Shane at Silver Street VW - 01271 312121. He's the parts manager, and tell him Prance Motor Services sent you, that should get you a bit of a discount hopefully!

I'm not a Devonian either ...lol.....not many true ones left these days

At least I'm a full-time shandy drinker

Now you tell us :roll: :lol: Always wondered at the camping event we've been to :lol:

Tempest

Took the C into town today.....and just when i was about to leave the ignition switch gave up the gost....pffft.

After scratching my head for 15 mins i remembered an old trick.

Took the black/red spaded wire off the starter motor and with the ignition turned on shorted across the battery feed and spade terminal on the starter motor with a rubber handled screwdriver.

Afew sparks and away she went.

The old tricks are the best ones...lol

Heheh, yup, I've had to do the wire-from starter-soleniod-to-battery trick a few times...! :lol:

Make sure you do get a VAG ignition switch though, as the GSF ones aren't up to much...