Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

new/old front ends?

Will someone post a pic of the late front end rado and the early, heard people mention this, but i cant tell the difference. Am i that DIM? :lol:

Enlighted me someone.

Avec le search......

Jim ... "Around early to mid 1992 they basically gave the end of run G60's what is known as the 'later' front end - the rear bumper was slightly different, the bonnet got a bulge, the front bumper was different and the wings were wider. This was all for the later cars (the VR6, the 8v, and the 2.0 16v). "

Info from Mr RW1 ..... He da man.... :wink:

The Corrado front wings changed with the introduction of the 1991 models in August 1990 but the article I referred to earlier was:

Volkswagen Audi Car – October 1991 edition, page 62.

“CORRADO WINGS

From July ’90, the flange of the wings and the shape of the wing-liners of Corrados were modified to give greater clearance.”

The parts list reflects this if looked up on the fische and EKTA 6.02.

-------------------------------------------

Also, Bulletin No. 3 dated February 1991 in the General Body Repairs Workshop Manual has the following, which confirms the press article:

ALL MODELS.

“To attain sufficient tyre clearance in the wheel housing, the mudwing flange has been modified from 07.90.

In conjunction with this the wheel housing liner was also modified in the connecting area.

After stocks of the old wheel housing liner are exhausted only the modified liners will be offered in the parts programme.”

It goes on to state that old & new combinations can be done whilst the body work mudwing & liners need to be modified suitably.

Mudwing is german translation for the metal front wings.

It’s also worth noting that different wing liners are used on the later 16v (8v), G60, VR6 after the wings changed, presumably to take the different tyre widths from 195 to 205mm and different suspension damping rates.

----------------------------

In simple terms, any Corrado from chassis 50KK000001 to 50LK027000 (September 1988 – July 1990 build date) was made with the early front wings. As stated above once stocks of the early front wing spares ran out, only a newer wing could be bought new if accident damage occurred. Odd wings = been repaired. That couldn't have lasted more than 2 years or there abouts.

Of course old style model new car stock may have been held by VAG at Milton Keynes built prior to August 1990 so some 1991 registration plate year C's would have early front wings which may answer your point Steve ie. (H registered platers but I doubt "J's onwards").

Descriptions of the differences are also in the Corrado Buying Guide and Checklist ;)

Edit: But because I'm bored - piccies to illustrate...

The grill is the most obvious difference, but the early grill is quite a bit more upright than the later one and the early/late headlights do the same (it's quite obvious if you put the wrong headlight glass on).

The ride height is pretty hard to tell because most people that still have standard suspension have 10yr+ old stuff that's sagged.

The early bonnet is ----_____---- whereas the late one is ___--------___

The early fogs and indicators are recessed about 5mm, but the late ones are almost flush with the bumper.

The late wings are flared an extra 20mm or so wider, but it's very hard to tell the difference unless you have them side by side.

The early splitter is 90mm, the late one is 50mm.

^^^^ Ignore him, he just works here.

J was the crossover year dude, some are early and some are late...has it got a 3 slat or 5 slat grill ?

The pics are a good illustration of all the changes but it wasn't just in one go.

It's like very early, later early, early later & late later. The year ranges being 1988 - 1990, 1990 - 1991, 1991 - 1994 & 1994 - 1995. Each point a subtle shave of change and you need to have a fine eye to see it.

For instance, the pics show the wing change, look at the bulge on the arch above the wheel. The early is more shallow. The bumper is angles slightly differently, not a photo effect, the early car looks narrower.

There's three headlight standards, another change where the slope of the glass changes very fractionally but put an early in a very late and it's obvious.

(This where it gets scary for Dom :wink:)

G60s are all early

Not quite, 1992's has the big bonnet at the end of their production run.

Yeah, I was amazed at the headlight sizes as you noticed at Utterly :lol:

I actually have a hybrid - late bonnet, wings, grille, interior and bumpers, but early splitter, mid-late headlights (although they're EPC ones, so not original) and a few early blanking sections on the interior.

And I think it's just the North American G60s that are all early, but might be wrong on that too.

It would appear that Mr. Wales had a G60 with a late bonnet and bumper, but that could have been replaced at a later date.

From the pic he sent me and your new cunning way of identifying the early/late wings - that he had the early wings tho.

Cheers Mr Wales.

"Yeah, I was amazed at the headlight sizes as you noticed at Utterly "

And that was without my glasses on Dom!

Yeah, market/shipping timing off the production lines.

it has the early grill. And i know the door is a tad off colour. Hoping to get it resprayed soon :)

I used to have a 95 2.0 8v and the only difference i could see is the grill

i have a 92 g60 with later front .as i thought all g60s were early front ends i checked with the local dealer through the chas.no and it did come with late front from the factory.also it has factory heated cloth seats never seen them before,is this rare?

also it has factory heated cloth seats never seen them before,is this rare?

I would say that it certainly is. I am assuming that you have recaro seats then?

I have to say that i've not heard of heated cloth seats before.

^^^^^^^ Ignore him, he just works here

Trimsport sell rear badges , not grill badges unfortunately. I'm pretty certain that VAG still sell early g60 grill badges ( there's a difference between old and new badges and they don't fit unless you get the right one. )

walesy..

no its not recro it the standard grey .ive never seen it before and wondered if anyone else had.

its not recro it the standard grey

It was an optional extra on both the 16v & G60 certianly for 1990 - 1992 cloth seats.