Sign in to follow this  
vr6storm

Oil Query

right guys looking for an "oil-guru" here.....at the moment i've got ESSO ultron 0/w30 fully synthetic in........i know its a bit on the "liquidy" side but i got it dead cheap(and a VW tech recomended it) and so far in approx 3k miles no problems.......in fact lower oil temps are what i've noticed-not by much but still noticable,anyway i'm now needing some more oil for topping up as i've used the litre extra that i bought(which is well within VW tolerances too btw)so i thought go to my local ESSO garage and buy some.........well the ESSO garages that are in and around Aberdeen sell Ultron fully synthetic but something like 5/w40 or similar not the 0/w30 that i have in just now..............now here is my main question.......i'm right in assuming you never mix grades of oil especially when it comes to fully synthetic?(i know that mixing fully synthetic and semi synthetic or less is a no-no :wink: )

also

if i was to get the likes of Mobil-1 which AFAICR is 0/w30 is it alright to mix this with my existing oil?..........or do different manufacturers use different formulaes in their fully synthetics?

TIA

id be happy to mix esso ultron of another viscosity..in fact any fully syn should be ok....obviously mixing another brand will dilute any additives and alter the viscosity,buy not enough to care about

btw...id try something a little thicker if its using that much....is it a high miler?? mine dont use any at all at 90k ...and my 16v has 150 on it and dont use none

id be happy to mix esso ultron of another viscosity..in fact any fully syn should be ok....obviously mixing another brand will dilute any additives and alter the viscosity,buy not enough to care about

btw...id try something a little thicker if its using that much....is it a high miler?? mine dont use any at all at 90k ...and my 16v has 150 on it and dont use none

cheers for the info steveo29.............though 1L in 3k miles(near enough 5000km's) is actually good going for a VR :shock: .......in the handbook it says that 1L per 1000kms :shock: :shock: is within tolerances.......for some reason the VR uses more oil than the 16-valver or the G-60...........

I don't think it really matters but if it bothers you just do a full change.

i'll just leave it in then..........3 oil changes in less than a year is pampering the storm a bit too far :wink:........but cheers for the advice/help supercharged it were reet proper bo

.............though 1L in 3k miles(near enough 5000km's) is actually good going for a VR :shock:

Mine uses half that over the same distance :p

.......in the handbook it says that 1L per 1000kms :shock: :shock: is within tolerances

That's a classic get out clause. VW simply refer customers to the handbook if they ring up and complain.

.......for some reason the VR uses more oil than the 16-valver or the G-60...........

Two extra cylinders 8)

The general consensus is you can mix synthetic oils, but not expensive synths with cheap minerals.

Kev

The general consensus is you can mix synthetic oils, but not expensive synths with cheap minerals.

Kev

cheers Kev,just all i wanted to know :wink: :D though i did know not to mix fully synthetic and semi/non-synthetic,its just there was a "grey" area regarding mixing different grades of fully synthetic and even mixing different brands too :? :? :?