Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

Wierd radio reception problem

My radio reception is a bit dodgy. It receives stations near to where I live although when I go more than 30 miles or so from where I live the reception goes and I'm unable to tune the radio to anything. I've got a quite nice 3 year old Alpine hu. and no matter how much I play with the auto/manual seek options it doesn't wanna play. Is this a hu. problem or an antenna issue? It's like it's become lazy! Any ideas?

it sounds as though the amplifier in the antenna maybe the problem, sometimes these die giving bad reception, theres a thread somewhere saying how to remove it (it often get full of water and rusts) , peeps claim good results , worth a look mate

NickRStorm, good call, i didnt think of that , the local button for local people , whats all that shouting ? i'll have no shouting in here !

Mine's aftermarket too. I've had a play (press and hold "f" on my h/u) and the screen says "DX seek" which sounds positive. Gotta wait until I go a bit further afield than my usual 20 mile commute!

It is most likely to be the amp in the base of the beesting. The foam soaks up water over time and fuses the amp, Looky Here there is a guide to fixing it and it only takes about an hour.

MOST VW'S AFTER THEY HAVE HAD A REPLACEMENT H/U FITTED REQUIRE AN ANTENNA BOOSTER TO BE PLUGGED INTO THE BACK OF THE H/U I KNOW A LOT OF VW'S HAVE THE AMPLIFIED BEE STING BUT THIS WILL DEFINITELY WORK

No need to shout! :D The problem is though, that the amp in the base is sealed with foam that over time has soaked up rain water and shorted out the amp.

Running a power source to it will do nowt as the amp is fecked. The two routes are either new amp and aerial base (70 quid) or bypas the amp and connect the coaxial cable directly to the aerial and hey presto reception again.

you can buy an inline antenna booster from any decent audio retailer it plugs into the back of the h/u at the aerial connection and connects to the blue wire from the h/u these cost 14.99

That is what the guy at halfrauds sold me when I first started to investigate my pants reception. It made absolutly no difference because it is only boosting the aerial up to the base of the beesting.

Well the reception seems to have got better since I fiddled with the h/u but it's still not that great. My mates Mk4 Golf with a JVC h/u picks up all sorts of pirate stations on the way to work but as long as I can get a spot of Wogan in the morning I'm happy! I tend to be more of a CD man anyway! :x-mas: