Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

CVjoint ?

My car has suddenly developed a knocking sound when turning either right or left. It started this morning as more of a groan from the offside when negotiating a roundabout, but throughout the day it's definately a knock ( well at low speed anyway.

I was convinced that it was the cv joint but after reading posts on here I see that it may be top or bottom ball joints. Is there a way of finding out for sure, and if it is the cv joint have I any leeway to get it replaced or is oit likely to fall off any time soon?

Cheers Alan.

PS I took it to "my man" this afternoon and he seemed to think it would be the cv joint as it had no boot!!

they do seem to last well when they start knocking,you should hear the one on my peugeot,its clacking now when i just slightly turn the wheels and its been like that for 3 months now,i just cant be arsed working on the pug!!

I only need a few day's grace till my wife's car is fixed. It would be unthinkable to be without a car for a couple of days; why it would be like living in the middle ages or something!

It could also be your spring not turning on the spring plate (worn plate) when you steer & then suddenly 'knocking' round. Mine used to do it, new shocks and springs and i've not heard a thing.

Now thats worth investigating mate, 'cos thats just what it sounds like. I've never heard a U/S cv joint but I'm led to believe that they "click" this is more of a knock, a sort of adult version of sticking a lolly stick in your bike spokes.

However, as I said earlier, cv boot is missing, no longer with us, it is an ex-boot so logic leads me to suspect the cv joint.

I'll probably do what I normally do and agonise over it for a couple of days then bang it in somewhere for somebody else to sort.

well if the cv joint has no rubber boot on it then it needs doing before it does go,and cv joints do also clunk,depending on how bad they are

Dazzy, the fact that it just turned up, without prior noises this morning is very confusing to me.

Mind you I once had a Scirocco where the front hub was completely bladdered and I only noticed when I was washing the wheels and thought 1/4 inch play at the wheel was possibly a tad to much for safety's sake.

the one on my peugeot was fine one day and the next it sounded like a plague of locusts had invaded the car,i could easily fix it but i dont want to spend any money on it,it grieves me when i need to put diesel in it

I wouldn't be overly concerned normally, but my wife's car ( Golf GTi ) is stuck in the local bodger's emporium witha recurring cooling faultso we need at least one car operational as I work shifts and she works miles from home and not on a main bus route.

Don't let this get out; two VW's in the house and both poorly.