Sign in to follow this  
rikquin

corrado won't die!

:roll: 1991 g60 with 95K+ km, completely stock, immaculately maintained every 5k km, supercharger rebuilt

suddenly, a few quirks surface: :evil:

1. tachometer dies

2. left side window won't close completely, just touches the rubber strip

3. lastly, engine won't die after turning off the ignition! no problem in starting and idling.

any thoughts, anyone, before i take a look inside?

well with q2 i would take the door card off and take a closer look and with q3 sounds like it could be ignition switch although its usually the opposite,(wont start)or the timings moved

the engine wont die happened to my dads cavalier its something to do with the earth on the alternator

Normally it was associated with carbon build up on valves, but it sounds like an electrical fault here. how long does it run on for?

:o hey, thanks guys...

i do think that it 's more an electrical fault, but how can i localize it? earth on the alternator sounds like a good place to look, since i just changed the alternator harness...tell you after i check...

the engine keeps running, without a stutter or fault, and seems to go on forever whilst i keep turning the ignition off until it "catches" and turns the engine off...

otherwise, i pop the clutch on high gear with foot heavy on the brake and handbrake pulled all the way up--that kills the engine, but the lights on the console stay on until, again, the ignition switch "catches" and turns everything off...

of course, there are times when it just works perfectly...

our local vw mechanic is stumped and offers to look at the "fuel sender", but i'm kinda betting on the ignition switch...

does sound like the ignition switch

I agree, sounds like a build up of crud in the switch shorting it out enough to keep the ignition circuit live... They're easy enough to change and only cost £20 inc VAT (ish) Most stealers have 'em in stock as well... my local had 12... "no they don't break that often..." :roll: :lol: :lol:

:p am scheduling the look-see this weekend, plan to change the ignition switch, take down the instrument console, and look under the door panel at the power window mechanism--in the meantime, g60 stays in the garage while i've only my wife's camry to drive to work... :oops: