Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

Removing standard Steering wheel

Ok, in a fit of utter madness (it happens alot, which explains buying a Rado to begin with) I purchased a late style steering wheel from ebay.

finally got this through, and wanted to remove my early style steering wheel and fit this new one. So, here's the question..... how do I go about it..... and whats the chances of me buggering it up and ending up crashing into a house at 70mph with a stearing wheel in my hands ?

Diagrams would be nice......

Just flip the centre panel off and a big (( 30mm i think )) bolt will be revealed.

A good thing to remember is that once you have put the new wheel on, always tighten up the bolt again... :wink:

aye its a big nut, but i dont think its 30mm mate, i'm sure its 26... you'll need a long socket to get at the nut, and a long-ish driver as it'll be done up tight and you'll need the leverage. I nearly gave myself a hurnia (spelling?) getting mine off.

yeah doing it in a car park helps so you can drive with no hands and see where your steering wheel is pointing

Yup...it's deffo a 24mm socket! I had to buy one to remove the s/wheel not that long ago!

LOL..I just remember it being a bigun..I'm sure you'l manage to work out the size of it when you try and get the socket on :wink:

its a good idea to have a m8 holding the wheel as you do it up. Do not use the Steering locking thingy ( whats the word cant remember ). I buggered the top half of my column in my MK2 Golf using it

my steering wheel is kinda loose nowadays... just bought a leather three-spoker from BigTartanJudge, waiting for it to arrive... not sure if I want to fasten up the old one meanwhile tho... kinda sucks not having a steering wheel :p

Must get round to doing this too mine's on the Pi55 been driving round for the past year driving in a straight line, looking like I'm going round the carousel at the Nurbergring!

Mind you as soon as I do it I'll probably turn left into a wall as I'm so used to it!

Must get round to doing this too mine's on the Pi55 been driving round for the past year driving in a straight line, looking like I'm going round the carousel at the Nurbergring!

Mind you as soon as I do it I'll probably turn left into a wall as I'm so used to it!

Ditto :lol:

Sorry mods if this is kind of off-topic but i fitted a new Raid Dino 300mm wheel a few weeks back... its so small but i'm a tall bugger and it helps make it easier to drive!

RAIDDINO.jpg

I got a bit confused when i fitted it by the fact that the VW wheel has a +'ve and a -'ve connection to the horn if you look at it with the horn taken off...

VWSTEERINGWHEEL.jpg

the horn though only seems to have 1 connection in the middle

VWHORN.jpg

The new raid boss though only has 1 black wire

RAIDBOSS.jpg

yet the new horn press has 2 connections

BACKOFHORN.jpg

Do i need to somehow wire in an additional connecting wire? i have no idea about electrics unfortunately

It seems lots of people have fitted aftermarket steering wheels on here... can any1 advise?

I'm probably a bit late to the party, but here is a procedure I wrote years ago. It was hosted on the VWCCGB website (with my permission) for ages but I don't know if it still is.

Regards

Jon

Edit: mk3 yeti - look at my procedure and all will be revealed about the horn wire. Well, hopefully. :)