Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Anyone an insurance expert?

:?

Managed to put my S3 into a ditch this morning,causing god knows how much's-worth of damage.

Slid on black ice on a fairly tight left hand bend and went straight into a sloping ditch which was about two foot deep. :roll: :oops:

The only thing is,that the car has new registration plates on,which I forgot to notify the insurance company about-not realising until today,when I got the certificate out.

So,I phoned them up and got the reg changed but will that go against me if I decide to claim the damage off the insurance?

It's impossible to answer that question!

Technically you weren't insured as you hadn't notified the insurance company of a significant change to the car!

But they may decide that you didn't do this maliciously, or there may be a clause in your policy that gives you a certain amount of time to notify of changes such as this...

So: should you tell them? Well.. depends on how good you are at lying .. But then you'd be pushing my insurance premium up too, so personally I would recommend you don't lie.. ;)

well, its not a performace modification, but it does up the value of the car, and the registration number is different to the one they have listed for your policy (i take it you mean you put a private plate on?) Hate to say it, but you might not be covered...

Did you tell them about the 'plates before you told them about the crash? Maybe you can crash 'tomorrow'.

Yeah,I phoned them today after realising my mistake and they were happy enough.

I may have the accident in the next couple of days. :shock: :twisted:

Wanted:A petrol station to support my addiction-You see I own Two Golfs,A Corrado G60 and now an AudiS3...Where will it end?

that should be none running (i presume) s3 :(

were there any witness's who can't be breifed about the date, ie farmers who may claim compensation for a hedge or drivers of recovery vehicles? I'd be VERY careful if you decide to delay the date of the accident, if you get found out the penalties could be stiff.

Hmm, tricky. Personally i'd never recomend lying to insurers. How long ago were the plates put on/registered? have you had confirmation of the change from the DVLA? If you have, i'd recommend coming clean tbh. If not, you could always put the old plates back on.

A personalised plate shouldnt make any difference to the value of the car, as most insurers will payout for mods seperately to the car itself.

It could be used against you, but in reality i'd say its pretty unlikely.

whos your insurers btw?