Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Brand new block and pistons for a VR, how much?

I personally don't think it's worth spending out on a new 12V lump unless you have a particular fondness of it. 24V just makes sense, it's a much better engine and cheaper. Coxy's 8000 miler for £1200 was a bargain! Much cheaper than rebuilding a 12 valver. Knowing VW, they'll start obsoleting 12V parts before long, but 24V parts should be around for a long time yet.

When my 12V dies, there's no way another 12V will be going back in. I'll just get the relevant brackets from VF engineering for a 24V 8)

See your point Kev, it is a much cheaper option but my goal is a little different. I get the most enjoyment out of stripping bits down and rebuilding them into little pieces of art i guess. The concept of swapping an engine isn't as appealing as building one and seeing how much better is it.

Dutch, i'm in the same position as you. Realistically i don't need a new block as mine should be fine but like the idea of building the engine with a new block, uprated rods, pistons bit at a time without worrying about having the car of the road.

Stan, that is avery good price, but like you say there's a bit more to it. If price is the key I think the 24v route will be cheaper (if not done to Jay's perfection of course), but let's see what your man thinks when he's weighed them both up. I'm curious to know actually.

Lee, I kind of like the idea of having a new block too, even though mine is also probably OK :oops:

...and doing exactly as you say - could build a very nice engine over the winter and drop it in in the spring. I'd learn alot from it too and would like to keep her as original as pos. too.

Hmmm, well, let us know what you decide then Stan and we can all take it from there.

Dutch

Dutch, Im going 24v mate. Do you still want the block and pistons? Ive got the guys number etc if you want it. I think hes in Lancaster which isnt far from me.

A20LEE - are you still interested btw?

Stan, if you could PM his details over I would appreciate it.

I'm still not sure what to do but think I'm going to go this route.

Cheers,

Dutch