Sign in to follow this  
ross.taylor

Rear Wheel Drive Corrado?

Was just wondering if its possible and if anyone has ever seen it done?

I know that the VAG way is 4wd, but I do love the handling characteristics of RWD.

I was thinking that one could use bits from a 4WD system.

Nothing is impossible.

For example. there is a RWD MK1 kicking around with a Range Rover V8 under the hood!!

There is also a RWD, or should I say, Mid engined, VR6 turbo Corrado kicking around in the states somewhere too. Or are you wanting a traditional BMW front engine, rear drive layout?

With the VW haldex you can cut drive to the rear, but I don't think you can cut the front since drive is taken mechanically from the gear/transfer box.

PhatVR6 and Coxy will know more on that....

very true. the only time you will get 100% to the rear on a haldex (and its possible) is if the front wheels have absolutely zero traction.

if you want rear wheel drive then you have to rotate the engine 90 degrees, or stick it in the back.

I've seen a vid clip of a US corrado pulling up, stopping, then lighting up the rear wheels in an almightly burnout, then just slowly trundling off as it nothing was up! class.

forget about haldex, or any of the 4wd systems. if you want rwd, use a system that was designed to be run in full time 4wd and fit that.

can't see the point myself, why wouls you choose 2wd over 4wd? (ok, maybe for larking about, but for real driving...why?)

Buy a BMW if you feel the need for RWD, it's just not worth it in a corrado when the 4wd fits so neatly.

I'd love to see a E46 BMW M3 engine and drivetrain in a Corrado, better put a few lottery tickets on tmow night!

Certainly is possible. Jon Saunders from Quantum http://www.qpeng.com has converted his Jetta to RWD. It has a BAM 20vt from a TT running a haldex rear diff. The haldex pump is set up to run continously and the front drive shafts have been removed. Its not going to win any concours but certainly puts a smile on your face.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAA that car is a complete and utter pile of sh1t. it's a joke

look at in PVW, and laugh out loud at the downpipe running UNDER the subframe!!!!

also, the haldex isn't meant to run full time. it'll just overheat running it all the time.

Think you have missed the point. Its not meant to be a show winner. Jon drives the car every day and has covered many miles with no problems at all. Running the haldex FT is not a problem as he has proved.

Isnt the main point that he enjoys driving it and its not stuck in a garage for months like many peoples "projects" are?.

Seems a waste disconnecting the front shafts imo..... especially as they line up to the front wheels to give you 4x4! An odd concept, but if it works, then hats off to him......

Seems a waste disconnecting the front shafts imo..... especially as they line up to the front wheels to give you 4x4! An odd concept, but if it works, then hats off to him......

But thats been done!. If you run 4wd you also need some way of controlling the haldex diff. And you wouldn't be able to go sideways around roundabouts ;)

Gotta say, I would personaly prefer a 4 wheel drift out of a roundabout than spinning round to face the people i had just overtaken.

I think I might disconnect 3 of the 4 of my drive shafts for 1 wheel drive action - cos thats never been done either (??!)

seems more than little daft and a backward step to me

seems more than little daft

thats the point ;)

if we all did the same then the whole modification scene would be pretty boring.

I have a Mustang GT rolling chassis that I keep wondering the same thing about. Alot of fabrication but it would be fun.

Get that weight back inside the wheels for once!

Now that's just crazy talk! :lol:

How's about you get your current (overdue) project done first? ;) Or you could fix my Goof :D

im in the middle of building a corrado track day car, iv fitted a saab 9000 carlson 2.3 turbo in the rear , its fitted in with the cage nearly complete,suspension is fitted and ready to start wiring, the engine when running in the saab was 307 bhp with boost running at 25 psi, im running 10 by 15" compomotive alloys on back and 8 by 15" on front, i need to find wheel arch extensions for the back about 4.5" wide, does anyone know where these type of things can be bought?

If you like RWD characteristics ... its way cheaper to simply buy your fav RWD car where the Manufacturer and Tuning Companies have done all the development work for you ... if you break anything the parts should be easily obtainable too.

If you like drifting then an old Beemer or RWD Jap car (or any front engined RWD car) with a lsd will prove to be really good fun ...

:x-mas: