Sign in to follow this  
White2505

fancy stainless manifold.

unfortuanetly number 1 big end bearing went damaging the crank beyond repair. The engine is stripped and with an engineering company currently to assess the existing known damage and whether there is anything I have'nt spotted.

rebuild and refit is unlikely to be until week 1 or 2 of January.

shiny bits sat in the shed and no car to fit them on :(

will update once its sorted though

yep, 4-2-1 not sure what the rebuild will cost yet as I have not had the full story on how goosed my bottom end is yet.

all I know for certain currently is the number one bearing shell disintegrated taking the journal out on the crank.

the pistons look okay but the rest is in the hands of the engineering guy.

ouch, sorry to hear that!

hope you get it sorted!

what is the difference in that(4-2-1) and the tsr (4-1)

Does the 4-2-1 flow better or is just a minimal difference?

Thanks

Picked one of these up myself recently, Im putting it in an early 1.8 16V but Im not sure how it will fit, will I need to get a pipe made up to join the lower end to the cat?

Do 1.8 16V KRs have cats?

No cat on a KR, It does have a silencer built into the downpipe though. This makes it the same length as a DP with a cat as on the 9A 2 litre.

Gavin

Just checked pics of my front silencer and it has 2 pipes going into it, just wondering how this manifold attaches to this?

Does this section get bypassed straight to the intermediate silencers?

Just had a 6-2-1 stainless exhaust manifold fitted to my Golf vr6. Also looks very good quality. Seems good power top end and excellent sound when you floor it but now lacking torque in the mid range which is bugging me - free flowing exhaust manifolds are supposed to increase mid-range torque. It could be the characterisitcs of the new manifold or possibly related to my new timing chain and head gasket I also had fitted recently.

Anyway taking it to Stealth when they open in the new year for them to diagnose and fix and get a rolling road figure. VAG COM initially showed the cam sensor as being faulty so had that changed and it was much better but still lacking the old power it used to have. VAG COM now showed up no faults but the flat spot is still there around 1500-1800revs and remains to about 2300. Bit of a mystery - could just need a remap, or it could be cam timing which I'm assuming would be pretty expensive to diagnose and fix!

Sorry to hear about your big end failure. Sounds expensive mate. Let us know how you get on with your manifold and rolling road figures.

Does this section get bypassed straight to the intermediate silencers?

It does. The 16V goes from the cast manifold and includes the first silencer of 3 or 4. There is not always one under the gearshift.

Gavin

thanks Matth76,

have decided to fit a 2.0 complete bottom end to my kr head, this combined with a few other tweeks should give me a healthy power figure and plenty of grin factor!

Just got an email from the place turns out you need a catreplacer for 16Vs if you have a front silencer. They look like they would do the trick. Another 40 quid + shipping :(

I've bought one of these exhaust manifolds too, arrived last week, and its being fitted tomorrow (hopefully) I'll let you know how I get on. The quality of it is really very good, but I guess the proof is in the pudding eh! :chef:

Figers crossed

Something to bear in mind with s/s exhaust manifolds... I was told by The Phirm not to get it wrapped in heat wrap/insulation, which although heat wrap makes it more effective slightly at transferring heat it can make the stainless steel retain heat and get hotter and more prone to getting brittle. However the main thing is to check to see if the manifold has "flexi-joints" where the bolts are which should keep it independent to engine movement, therefore preventing cracks. Also, get uprated engine mounts to keep engine movement to a minimum. I'm getting my golf rolling roaded at stealth beginning of march so should see what increase in power my new stainless exhaust mani has made. I expect more top end power with slight loss low down. But I may get a remap to fix this if possible. I've got about 195bhp (from my last rolling road) at the mo and will let you know how I get on when I visit stealth. :)

Good luck with yours.

Ive not got uprated mounts and my manifold has been fine for over a year now.

Heat wrapping increases performance as the hotter the tube,the quicker the gases escape through it

It doesn't fit a Corrado with a 9A engine!!!!

It fouls on the steerin rack in my RHD Corrado!

Gutted.

Now I'm going to try and get my money back off the guy off eBay.

It doesn't fit a Corrado with a 9A engine!!!!

It fouls on the steerin rack in my RHD Corrado!.

gutted, will it fit a KR d`ya reckon???

thats crap mr beige was waiting to see how u got on with this.... want to get a little more out my 9a valver.... :(

I'm totally gutted too. They are giving me a full refund though once I've sent it back to Belgium!

They wanted to know why it didn't fit too!

The only thing is its just cost me £70 to try and fit it!

By the way Scarlett, I'm liking the new rims