Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Front Caliper Siezed??

I've got mk4 calipers fitted to the car but my font caliper o/s seemes to be siezed the car barely rolls and the front wheel heats up real bad and you can smell the pad burn............whats the remedy

Check that the caliper carrier is centred over the disc. I had a similar problem with very noticable binding and continuous squeals from the front brakes, hot smells (mostly from the brakes !!) and poor fuel consumption.

When I fitted the 288mm setup , I discovered that, somehow or other, one of the lugs on the hub to which the carrier is bolted had been bent out of position slightly, causing the brake to bind on one side of the disc. A bit of judicious blacksmithery brought it back into line. Together with new pads and discs, the problem was solved and she rolls completely freely. I had replaced the seals in the calipers too, so there was no chance that the piston was sticking.

Best wishes

RB

still working on this, the piston pushes out ok when you apply the pedal, i've managed lift back the rubber seal and its a lil bit rusty the piston that is, so i cleaned it up with a bit of sand paper, can i just apply a bit of copper grase to the piston? to help it.

still working on this, the piston pushes out ok when you apply the pedal, i've managed lift back the rubber seal and its a lil bit rusty the piston that is, so i cleaned it up with a bit of sand paper, can i just apply a bit of copper grase to the piston? to help it.