Sign in to follow this  
paulg60

How LOW can i go

how low can i go on my G60 running 16 inch wheels. i dont want to use coilovers run them for 5 years on a golf got sick of trying to dodge every pot hole i came across.

thanks in advance :D

I Think you can have a 80mm drop on standard shockers but you may as well have no suspension :(

60mm is max if you want to have some decent ride.

But its all up to you, but coilovers are the way to go(just my opinion)

James

on normal MacPhersons, probably about 60mm before the pistons bottom out in the dampers. You can buy dampers with shorter pistons, I used Spax RSX on my GTi 16V with 60mm Spax springs and Bonrath spring cups. The spring cups are good, they get that bit more from the spring kit but there is a danger that you will end up with no travel in the dampers.

The main problem is that the drive shaft on the drivers side will end up touching the chassis rail. Mine has a nice white stripe on it from the underseal rubbing off onto it. I don't know how low I have gone, but it must be approaching 4 inches when parked next to a VR6.

Running the car so low that the driveshafts are lower than parallel at the car's static height is not a good idea. They clout the chassis rails as already mentioned and also ruin the handling.

If the car is to remain pliant over mid bend bumps and potholes, you need suspension travel, simple as that. I've often followed cars that have been lowered to excess and watched them skip and bounce round corners. Takes twice as much concentration and effort.....and all for the sake of street cred.

A drop of 30mm is plenty for a Corrado whilst retaining decent ride quality and suspension travel.

Kev

I just got a corrado on monday and mines been dropped 40mm (only got 15's on i think, they are standard wheels), took it for a spin the other day down the back roads and it holds the road like glue, but now i find myself dodgeing every pot hole and cant even drive it onto my driveway forwards because the front spoiler is catching the floor, take a look in the members gallery to see my new motor.