JMC

JMC's G60

Strangely enough fixing all the leaks in the exhaust had absolutely no effect on power or torque. Looking at the exhaust though it goes quite narrow in places, and I suspect it is now becoming the weakest link in the chain. Oh, how I would love to have my own rolling road.....

Yep, still using standard sparkplugs dirtytorque, and they are 4 years old now (still on the original leads as well as far as I know).

I ask because of have been wondering when is there a call for using colder plugs.

For example your engine is now aprox 60 bhp more than standard.

Would it not benefit from a colder plug?

Has anyone done so in a modded g60,or indeed any car that has had significant mods done?

Just curious is all.

:wink:

Not sure really :shrug: . AFAIK spark plug temperature needs to be changed if there are large changes in boost pressure for one thing. Mine hasn't changed really - I'm flowing alot more air but at similar pressures, so that shouldn't affect it. Also they need changing with nitrous, but again not done that (yet, anyway :lol: ).

Just been out (in the swetlering heat) and cleaned and polished the car. First time I've tried Meguiars Gold Class shampoo, and it was very impressive. So, a couple of pictures of general niceness :D :D

Black wheels on a black car is SO GOOD :shock: love the touches of red too in the calipers and rear lights.

Glad it's turning into the machine you were hoping for, Jonathan :salute:

Getting there slowly Jon. Still need the optimized map (come on Steve.....). And have ordered one of the methanol/water kits from the group buy. Should be fun 8)

Was down at G-werks at the weekend and went out on the road for a live mapping session with Steve and have just now had a rolling road session at Surrey Rolling Road (thanks Charlie) to see the results. Now making 233bhp at 6400rpm, over 200lbft from 4800-5800 :clap: . Charlies opinion was that was more in there, but that the cam wasn't optimal for the setup. Has anyone with a G-werks 1.9 conversion and a Schrick Cam got any dyno plots please :D I'm intrigued to see how they perform at the top end...

Was down at G-werks at the weekend and went out on the road for a live mapping session with Steve and have just now had a rolling road session at Surrey Rolling Road (thanks Charlie) to see the results. Now making 233bhp at 6400rpm, over 200lbft from 4800-5800 :clap: . Charlies opinion was that was more in there, but that the cam wasn't optimal for the setup. Has anyone with a G-werks 1.9 conversion and a Schrick Cam got any dyno plots please :D I'm intrigued to see how there perform at the top end...

:D

plot pls.

I don't know much about Schrick cams, but a mate of mine was running one of G-werks chargers, one that had had a LOT of work done porting it and found that when he was running a Piper cam it had good power, but when he went back to a standard cam, as the overlap was less it made a shed load more power. I think due to the over lap a lot of the boost was going straight out of the exhaust valves. What is the overlap like on those Schrick cams?

Yes Walesy, it is fun 8)

Cheers for the info mrbeige, I was having a look through the Piper website last night and trying to figure out from the receipts I've got exactly which cam the previous owner fitted. It looks to be a 285H, which for some reason is a symmetric 268 (why not call it a 268 :shrug: ). Had a bit of a chat with Darren and it seems the Schrick is the way to go. So I think I know what the next thing to be done wil be....

Hi mate, pretty good figures, what is it making a the wheels ? I lost quite a bit through my drivetrain, but the last time it was RR'd I had 9x16" wheels fitted and a worn gearbox / clutch. I have the Schrick split-duration asymmetrical cam (268-276) fitted to mine. I am making a little more power, but around the same in torque. My new gearbox should help a little, along with the water injection and custom remap, to both increase the torque figures and reduce the drivetrain losses.

Hi mate, pretty good figures, what is it making a the wheels ? I lost quite a bit through my drivetrain, but the last time it was RR'd I had 9x16" wheels fitted and a worn gearbox / clutch. I have the Schrick split-duration asymmetrical cam (268-276) fitted to mine. I am making a little more power, but around the same in torque. My new gearbox should help a little, along with the water injection and custom remap, to both increase the torque figures and reduce the drivetrain losses.

Cheers BigTartanJudge. At the wheels values are 196bhp and 170lbft. Interested to hear how you get on withthe water injection - I have one of the Schimmel systems from the recent group buy waiting to go on. Been chatting more with Darren and the Schrick cam is definately the way to go. What at the wheels values were you getting then?

My figures were 245.5BHP and 200 ft-lbs torque at flywheel, at wheels was 175.5BHP and can't remember torque at wheels figure. Needless to say, I reckon the huge loss was down to the wheels and worn gearbox (wheels esp) I think. Am looking for 250+BHP and 220-230 ft-lbs torque when she is finished. I have vid of her doing these figs in the rollers and here is the RR print-out. Not bad for 65mm pulley and still standard bottom end.

clip_image002-1.jpg

Interesting BigTartanJudge, never seen the RR printout displayed like that. How's that drag line calculated then? I would have expected more at the wheels given your 'at the flywheel' value, but as you say, that could be down to choice of wheels and and old gearbox. Pretty impressive for standard bottom end. Mines a 1.9 but I am only running a 68mm pulley. The curves are interesting as well - what causes that bump around 2500rpm?

Don't know about how they calculate the drag figure, and seem to remember they said the bump was due to the split duration cam, i.e. that was where the duration changed or where it "came on cam". The RR was done by reputable company up here in Scotland and their RR is fully digital and meant to be pretty accurate.

If you look at the runs I've done from originally getting the car, the 1st run on any given day is always drastically different from the subsequent ones. There is huge amounts more boost pressure lower down, and as a result masses more torque, but this disappears and after the 1st run. Every set of data I've looked at for mine does this. I wonder whether others get this too, but as you normally only see the last power run, you wouldn't normally see this. I was thinking heat soak, and still am really (even with my new openned up bumper), as I can't think what else it would be :?

One thing I forgot to mention.... A few pages ago I put this up, wondering why the 1st run was so different to the subsequent runs. While I was at the rolling road we did some runs with the bonnet up as opposed to the usual bonnet down. Raising the bonnet resulted in this '1st run' type of behaviour again and again and again. Basically the torque curve changes completely (gaining as much as 20lbft lower down in the revs) and the peak power drops by 5-10bhp. When I get the data from Charlie I'll do my usual graph plots an put them up. But it just goes to show how important it is to consider cooling and air flow are when tuning your engine (and measuring its output).

Cheers guys.. Should be getting the Schrick cam before too long (if all goes to plan). Also will be playing with water injection, and if I can save enough and decide to take the plunge there will be further chemical playtime, perhaps involving an extra cylinder of something, so will hopefully provide more interesting reading down the line.....

Would you mind sharing your afr plot pls??

ta.

Here you go. Bear in mind though, this is an 'up the tail pipe' AFR reading, and Charlie kept having problems with me blowing it out the end :lol: so basically ignore where it goes really lean after 6500.

Would you mind sharing your afr plot pls??

ta.

Here you go. Bear in mind though, this is an 'up the tail pipe' AFR reading, and Charlie kept having problems with me blowing it out the end :lol: so basically ignore where it goes really lean after 6500.

cheers J.

Your a star.

How come he didn't use the tap b4 the cat then?

Yours is on a j plate isn't it?

:salute: