Sign in to follow this  
steve @

Corrado VR Ownership

I am hopefully going to buy a VR soon. Just wondered what people thought of them as an everyday car? How reliable etc? what sort of mpg is the "norm" .

I am already planning the mods LOL.

Will look to lower on a full suspension kit. Already have a nice momo steering wheel sat here. And will look to purchase a nice cat back exhaust and decat.

What are the best mods / things to do? not necessarily for performance but just to improve the car i.e the uprated headlight loom, lower temp thermostat? etc.

Cheers

Steve

up til recently i used mine as a daily driver and only had one breakdown (fuel pump) and about 5 unscheduelled repairs(thermostat,hose,cv-joint,sensors and fuses) over 4 years of driving almost daily and taking the miles up from 38k to 74k......ive also went thru 1 set of tyres and 2 sets of brake pads in that time and my economy has been approx 21-23mpg round town(decent imo for a near 3L motor),if you get a good one you just need to change the oil and filter every 6motnh 5k miles with a service once every year.............ive only stopped using mine of late due to having a shiny 993 C4 that ive recently bought and the new car factor hasn't worn off yet,otherwise it would still be in daily use now,but once the weather gets savage i'll be back into the Corrado

Mine is my daily driver (and figures crossed i have never had any trouble).

My MPG depends on how I drive - most of the time I do push it a bit which means anything as low as 18mpg, but if take it more easy, were looking at 27mpg.

On the motorway i once hit a wooping 37mpg.

All in all its not a car to consider economical.

But you do get this:

A grin every time you get out of the car.

Pins and needles down your back when you let all 6 snarl and hit 80-90 in one swoop in 3rd.

Stopping at the petrol station and looking at your mean beast sitting the looking menacing.

Every now and then getting someone come up and 'nice car, mate'.

Knowing you are one of only a few now to own such a classic and finely built & designed cars on the road.

..ive only stopped using mine of late due to having a shiny 993 C4 that ive recently bought and the new car factor hasn't worn off yet,

strange. the only 993 i've been in looked and felt positively 80's, i thought it was bloody awful! and it was slower than my corrado.

i wa always a huge fan of porsches, but that's the first and only one I've been in and i was massively dissapointed.

I use mine every day. and to be absolutely honest the only things that have gone wrong have been when i break something fiddling!

They have a few quirks and i've spent a shed load of money (for me anyway) on mine, but only on stuff ive wanted to do to make it beter or refresh things back to how they were when new.

I think if you do the basics they are pretty bullet proof. Just annoyingly expensive little things like the heater controls, expensive hose etc that get my back up.

..ive only stopped using mine of late due to having a shiny 993 C4 that ive recently bought and the new car factor hasn't worn off yet,

strange. the only 993 i've been in looked and felt positively 80's, i thought it was bloody awful! and it was slower than my corrado.

i wa always a huge fan of porsches, but that's the first and only one I've been in and i was massively dissapointed.

the dash is certainly an aquired taste as its essentially the same design since the 60/70's but with minor differences,but as for performance i reckon its all down to the lack of fuss or drama that the 993 gives that makes it seem slower than what it actually is

25 - 27 mpg is a fair average for a tankfull. i do mostly shortish journeys 5-10 miles and I find the mpg depends on whether the roads have been dry or not. :D

The thing that took me a while to cotton on to was although it looks as good as any modern car it is 11 - 13 years old, and things will go wrong from time to time. But these niggles are easily forgiven when you pull up at the lights and pedestrians look rather than cross the roads, or when you get it right on a cambered corner and howl down a straight grinning like a dog with two tails.

The trouble is, you will get hit for bills (some big) when you're not ready for it. I was never prepared for this, and was often going overdrawn etc just to keep it on the road. Then, when it is off the road, how do you get to work?Much better as a weekend toy IMHO.

If I ever own another C (or any other 'older' sports car) I'm gonna make sure I set up a separate 'car account'. Maybe siphon off £40 odd quid a month for it. Then I'm not going to get caught out. It would also have to be a second car.

Only had mine since Friday so can't comment on long term running costs - but the previous owner spent more on the car in the two years that he had it than I actually bought it for! :shock: Hopefully all I'll have to worry about will be regular servicing and prodigious fuel consumption...! But then who buys a damn-near 3L V6 sports coupe and worries about economy...? ;)

With a light foot i can get into the 30's mpg wise (or so the MFA said)

The only problem i get is Civic type R drivers thinking that 9000 rpm is cool, that is about it.

Up grading the lights is a really good idea as mine are cack! Also installing a 'Mr Fusion' unit will be good for the more urban trafic.

But then who buys a damn-near 3L V6 sports coupe and worries about economy...? ;)

this guy? :lol:

As the guys have said, the day-to-day running costs can be kept under control, but if something does go wrong and it involves bodywork or interior bits, then it can be very expensive. Otherwise, the mechanical parts are nearly all Mk2 Golf or Passat parts, so aren't that expensive (bear in mind they're still VW parts, so it's all relative).

My advice would be to budget a few hundred £ a year for repairs and set up a standing order each month to put it into a separate account. If the amount in the account (ooh poetry) gets over the budget you've set - you can spend the excess on mods and still have an emergency fund for repairs :D

ive used mine daily for the last 4 mnths, and i've been getting a steady 33 to the gallon, not bad eh, and thats an average from my MFA for over 1000 miles! I love it, defo gives you a 1st rate grin,and i like having the power behind you if you need it, or suddenly get the urge, if ya know what i mean!!

i use mine as a daily driver , it returns mid 20's mpg , its not mine fault its the noise ! the noise of the vr when booted is totally addictive , you'll know what i mean when you get one and with an induction kit you just cant stop your right foot going down down down .........

dont buy the car unless you are prepared to make it a hobby aswell as a mode of transport , these cars last well with tlc , neglected they will just die on you , rado's are attention whores

i still love it and i can only think i'd replace it with another at the moment and i have to admit on the whole they seem to attract decent owners who are more than willing to talk rado's 24-7 :-)