Sign in to follow this  
sharlie1982

Heater Blower

Hi all and Merry Christmas :D

My K Plate G60 has recently been treated to a new heater matrix. I never want to do that job again :mad:

After a month or so, the blower now only works on the highest speed, anything less and I get nothing?

Is this the resistor that has failed. Also are these units the same as the Mk2 Golfs?

Cheers :)

It might be the thermal fuse, this has been covered before. I have the same problem and tried replacing the thermal fuse but it made no difference (my bad soldering) but it has worked for others...

Take a look at this thread and then the replacement guide. :)

This may be of interest/use to someone out there so here's my two'peneth.

Am currently rebuilding my dashboard (heater matrix went and blower only ever worked on speed 4.) Turns out having replaced the resistor (its a diavia aftermarket one not VW so only cost £17 New as opposed to £60 from VW) that my problem is the rotary switch contacts arent making properly. Am just toying with the following options.

a) get new/used rotary switch assembly (quite rare/expensive i believe)

b) replace with electronic rotary switch (brave/foolish but won't need doing again)

c) continue to try and fix mine

to be continued......

I take it you mean the copper contacts behind the dial?

Also worth checking this, I took the dial off and cleaned the copper, bent it a bit so I was sure contact was being made. Made no difference though. I think I knackered the fuse when trying to solder it, it needs to be crimped really. :)

davmatt, I don't think the switch is much from VW, it's just the resister pack thats expensive...

Did you buy a whole pack or just a resister to solder - where from?

my resistor was a complete unit from Reader Air Conditioning in surrey(01483 726300, The importers for my diavia air con unit). it's a different unit to the VW one but still provides 4 speeds.

The solid copper contacts inside the switch aren't too bad but the thin crappy arm that rotates is bent/stressed etc and bends even further out of the way when its rotated

Have to admit, was told about the price by someone, havent checked, but all that plastic, the gears etc all in one unit, got 2 b expensive?

Ah - you have A/C so different blower to standard...

The speed switch is a seperate part on the early dash.. not sure about the late AC one tho...